OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3 different strikers that suck

Started by mkidd0021, July 17, 2012, 04:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkidd0021

Ive just made 3 strikers tried wood i dont normally use for strikers im getting hardly no sound out of them maybe im doing something wrong i bought  some   pauduk  orange osage and the guy just calldd the othef black and tan it feels kinda like wenge when i sand it but ive conditioned the crap out of all three with no luck the black and tan just squeaks real high pitched and so does the Osage the pauduk is real  dull.sounding  anyone ever have any luck with these woods as strikers ive tried them on aluminum glass.and slate maybe i need to condition them more

drenalinld

Osage and Padauk make good strikers.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: drenalinld on July 17, 2012, 08:54:10 AM

Gotta agree.  Don't give up on those woods.  I'm not sure what you mean by "conditioning", but if the striker is not turned with a good balance (top right thickness, shaft right thickness and length) you can "condition" them until the peg is gone and they won't sound right.  That goes with any wood. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

WillowRidgeCalls

Are they 1 piece or 2 piece strikers ? If 2 piece, what wood did you use for the tops?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

dreis3

Quote from: Gitzit69 on July 17, 2012, 10:22:07 AM
Quote from: lightsoutcalls on July 17, 2012, 09:22:48 AM
Quote from: drenalinld on July 17, 2012, 08:54:10 AM

Gotta agree.  Don't give up on those woods.  I'm not sure what you mean by "conditioning", but if the striker is not turned with a good balance (top right thickness, shaft right thickness and length) you can "condition" them until the peg is gone and they won't sound right.  That goes with any wood. 
X2

x3... Osage and Padauk are 2 of my favorite woods for strikers.
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

mkidd0021

Got them sounding good the wenge and osage have laminate tops i didnt do the laminate just turned it  the paduk is topped with birtch i use the same sand paper for the birtch as i used with the paduk it kinda gave it a orange look that i sealed in with my finish by conditioning i meant getting the tips rounded and roughed up to cause the friction and that was my problem i just needed to sand a little more well with the exception of the wenge don't. Know about u guys but to me sand paper to me seems to do very little for that stuff i sand it for the longest time and get no where its beautiful wood but i hate working with it more than anything else ive done