turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beards and Spurs

Started by crappieangler, July 10, 2012, 11:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crappieangler

We've got some carnage here fellas, some turkey killing machines!  Thanks for some of the ideas you've given me as well.  If I keep up on the pace I'm at hopefully I'll be in some of your shoes down the road, like others have said I just want something to savor some of the hunts through the years. 

marshboy

GSLAM95
I'd buy a ticket just to walk through your room!
Greg

land cruiser

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 11, 2012, 09:50:46 AM

I have the hulls labeled with bird #, place, time, distance, bird specs, etc.

I like the board, where did you get one?

BTW, some of the pictures in this thread make me feel very insignificant:D:D

TRKYHTR

Quote from: 2ounce6s on July 11, 2012, 10:59:23 AM
Impressive Joe! Where do you keep that string? That would look great in a trophy room up along a crown molding.

I did have it in my room at the top of the wall. Now it's laying on one of my mounts.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

deerhunt1988

Quote from: land cruiser on July 12, 2012, 12:20:29 AM

I got the board at the last NWTF convention from:

http://www.turkeyfanman.com/

Need to order another one soon..Held off on buying more than 1 at the time because I didn't know how i'd like it...I love it and it gets a lot of compliments..

Also got the turkey slam display from the site...Going to put one my slams from this season on it..

lonnie sneed jr.

Tie the beards on a string, and toss the spurs in the trash. 

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Gooserbat

I keep my spurs but I don't really display them.  Beards on the other hand I put in a beer mug and let the bristles stick out the top.  When one mug gets full I just start another one.  Looks good setting on the mantle and dosn't take up a lot of space.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

land cruiser

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 12, 2012, 09:59:25 AM
Quote from: land cruiser on July 12, 2012, 12:20:29 AM

I got the board at the last NWTF convention from:

http://www.turkeyfanman.com/

Need to order another one soon..Held off on buying more than 1 at the time because I didn't know how i'd like it...I love it and it gets a lot of compliments..

Also got the turkey slam display from the site...Going to put one my slams from this season on it..

Thank you!

barry

Quote from: TRKYHTR on July 12, 2012, 12:38:22 AM
Impressive Joe! Where do you keep that string? That would look great in a trophy room up along a crown molding.

I did have it in my room at the top of the wall. Now it's laying on one of my mounts.

TRKYHTR

Hey Joe,
The tail feathers that look like they're stuck in bondo at the base of the mount on the right, is that for a mount or a new decoy?

Nolehoe

Quote from: davisd9 on July 11, 2012, 07:07:23 PM
Front of my harvest album:

A page from the album (some of this year's birds):

I like it, how are the pics affixed to the pages?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

davisd9

It is an actually just a photo album that I purchased from Walmart.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TRKYHTR

Quote from: barry on July 12, 2012, 02:59:13 PM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on July 12, 2012, 12:38:22 AM

TRKYHTR

Hey Joe,
The tail feathers that look like they're stuck in bondo at the base of the mount on the right, is that for a mount or a new decoy?

Barry I was trying to figure out how to make a tailfan in an arc like gobblers do when they are bringing their tail down. That was just an extra tail I used as practice. It came out real nice. Then I mounted the real one on my Edward Scissorhand mount. I think the first one turned out better but they both look OK.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

guesswho

Unlike my beards, I keep about 90% of my spurs in one location.  I need to get me one of them strings, but until then I'll just throw them in my bucket.  The plan is if I ever get the bucket to where it won't hold anymore spurs I'll retire from turkey hunting and take up golf or something.

My beards go on the appropriate state beard board.  I have three of these boards, one for Florida,  Georgia and Alabama.  This is my Bama board.

I got the bright idea when I moved to Alabama I would make a board for each season for ten years (93 to 03).  I made one the first year then just threw the next nine years worth in a shoe box.  Here they are spread out on the driveway.  The board is at the top.  I took an old board and drilled holes the size of a 12 ga. shell in it.  I put the shells through the hole then put the beard in the shell.  Looks pretty good hanging up, the beards stick out from the wall instead of hanging down.

I also have what I call my Uh-oh board.  It includes shels from misses with the place, date, and who I was with when the miss occurred. It also has accidental Jake kills, shot off beards, a bearded hen,  and a hospital band from my broke nose turkey.

Oh, and I forgot to mention about half of these are from high pressured public land.  Some folks seem to always mention that for some reason so I figured I should too.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

Guesswho, obviously you need to keep seeking advice so you can figure it out!  No turkeys in Bama, especially on public land!!!

How many buckets of spurs does your mom have?

barry

Your Momma taught you well gw!!!