turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DIY camo shotgun paintjob

Started by 870BkWht, July 07, 2012, 05:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I posted this on another forum already, but not a lot of people are using that forum right now so I fiugred I would post this here also. 
I know this might have been covered before but I cant seem to find where I had seen it.  Ive got an old Remington 870 Magnum with wooden stocks that have already been crudely painted once before, and I want to give this gun a fresh look, but not really interested in having it dipped.  I feel more than confident that I can paint it to my liking, but before I did, I had a few questions. I know I will need to tape it up in areas that are not to be painted, and a scope or optics are not an issue so it should be relatively straight forward.

How should I prepare the surfaces so the paint will bond to the metal and wood?  Sandpaper, scotchbrite pad and alcohol?

When I am taping areas to be protected, should I tape the magazine tube as well as the action bars?  Ive googled pictures of it painted and not painted.  Im just curious about cycling the action after the paint has dried.

Alot of what Ive found on the internet reccamends using duracoat or brownells alumihide II, but I will probably go with kyrloc or rustoleum.  Some people even mentioned using a self etching primer, would this be advised?
For the fine detail work with a brush, what kind of paint should I get?  exterior enamel ?

And after the paint job is complete what should I use if anything to seal or clear coat the gun with? 

If any of you guys have done a DIY paint job on one of your shotguns, would you mind sharing with me some of your tips, pointers, and things I should know before I get started. 

Thanks
Ben

Big Timber

Have not done one myself but here is a link that will answer some questions for you.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36000

870BkWht

Big Timber thanks for the link.  That indeed did answer a few of my questions.

Still unsure if I should or should not paint the mag tube?

Also can anyone tell me how to remove the stocks on an 870?

Deputy 14

Take the recoil pad off and use a socket (I think half inch) and an extension to get the stock off. As for painting the mag tube I wouldn't. I did mine and every time you work the action it takes more and more paint off. Starts looking bad and gums the fore end tube.

FullChoke

Quote from: 870BkWht on July 07, 2012, 05:42:01 PM
I posted this on another forum already, but not a lot of people are using that forum right now so I fiugred I would post this here also.  
I know this might have been covered before but I cant seem to find where I had seen it.  Ive got an old Remington 870 Magnum with wooden stocks that have already been crudely painted once before, and I want to give this gun a fresh look, but not really interested in having it dipped. I feel more than confident that I can paint it to my liking, but before I did, I had a few questions.

Congratulations, you have already overcome the biggest hurdle that most people face in tackling a job like this!

QuoteI know I will need to tape it up in areas that are not to be painted, and a scope or optics are not an issue so it should be relatively straight forward.

How should I prepare the surfaces so the paint will bond to the metal and wood?  Sandpaper, scotchbrite pad and alcohol?

I would remove as much of the previous paint as you can to be certain that you are getting good adhesion to the surfaces. You can use a gel type paint remover on the wooden stock and forearm and paint thinner or acetone on the metal.  Make sure to use the alcohol (denatured) on all surfaces to make them clean and completely oil free. Spray on a base coat of gray or tan primer.

QuoteWhen I am taping areas to be protected, should I tape the magazine tube as well as the action bars?  Ive googled pictures of it painted and not painted.  Im just curious about cycling the action after the paint has dried.

I painted the slides and magazine when I did mine and have not had any real problems from it.

QuoteAlot of what Ive found on the internet reccamends using duracoat or brownells alumihide II, but I will probably go with kyrloc or rustoleum.  Some people even mentioned using a self etching primer, would this be advised?

I used an automotive spray primer and it has lasted for almost 20 years now. Spray paints are fine as they will be under clear coat.

QuoteFor the fine detail work with a brush, what kind of paint should I get?  exterior enamel ?

Regular enamel will work just fine. I used a flat enamel for military models but didn't really need to go that route.

QuoteAnd after the paint job is complete what should I use if anything to seal or clear coat the gun with?

Here is where you can use the Brownell's Matte Metal-Coat Epoxy or similar matte clear-coat product. It would pay off in the long run to really do your research on the availability and suitability of products for this step.

Take your time, be patient and let everything cure correctly between steps.

Good luck. Keep us in the loop on your progress.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

paladin

Most important thing I know is go with a light color as a base. Also fern leaves make good stencils. go easy with the dark top coloring. My goals have always been to camo from birds and deer, I care not what people see. I have came close to leaving one in the woods after leaning it against a tree while trailing a deer. It was a black ferns on tan background.
"have gun-will travel"

870BkWht

Well I started my project tonight.  If its ok with everyone Im going to start a post and chronicle my progress to keep those interested up to date.

Id also like to thank everyone for their input, links to other tutorials, and their input.  You've been a big help.