turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

lead fed 6

Started by SumToy, July 07, 2012, 03:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

Fed lead FCW 6's.  What kind of numbers yall see.  I test fired 1st test today and it is soso I think.   Now that said it was a 100 outside. LoL.   Wad looked good after shot but building different layout as I type this.  
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Devastator

i think i was in the 170's last spring,which prompted me to buy the hw 7's.

Rockhound

Im hitting about 120 with 5s

SumToy

Ok thanks. This is a SP10  with 23 inch barrel.  It did not like test 2 it blow the wad so back to 1st lay out.   Going big then small to see.  This was the copper 2oz 6.   I think it pick up some in cooler temps.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SKFOOTER

We're still waiting for you to shoot the Federal Heavyweight #7's thru that SP-10 w/23" barrell with the perfect choke tube??? :z-guntootsmiley:

SumToy

We back from last 2 test.   I don't have the 7 they had sold out I have the hw 6 to try.    I wad playing around with the lead to find good place to start.   It is at 133 with lead 2oz fed 6. So let temps get down to see what it does

Thegobblergetter

I am anxious to see what Sumtoy finds out with the Fed. HW 6's also.  I hope he comes up with a great choke for that load.  John

Old Gobbler

William , from what everybody is saying {urban legend } when shooting the The FCW the barrel needs to be cleaned down with solvent often for best results

I'm predicting you will have a captive audience for the HW#7's - Many people are interested in that shell , not only for 10, but the 12 &20 ga  also   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SumToy

I cleaned it and it did not change much.  I know the temps was sick.  It 90 to 100 and muggy.  I shot a hw 6 to just see.  It put up 193.  I post some pic of target latter.  It was with the 1st choke that I did.  It likes that layout and that size. 

Old Gobbler

Quote from: SumToy on July 07, 2012, 10:06:52 PM
I cleaned it and it did not change much.  I know the temps was sick.  It 90 to 100 and muggy.  I shot a hw 6 to just see.  It put up 193.  I post some pic of target latter.  It was with the 1st choke that I did.  It likes that layout and that size. 
193 is incredibly good for lead ! 

a two ounce load of lead Federal " Mag shok "#6's has a payload count of 439----1300 fps

a two ounce load of Federals  " heavy weight " #7's has a payload count of  435 ----1300fps

these loads are not Apples to Apples but given the fact  that the denser shot material has a tendency to shoot inherently tighter , you could be onto something very desireable 

-Shannon

SumToy

It was a HW 6 that did that.  I am going to sit back and look for some better air to test fire in.  I just had to play with it yesterday.  It came in and I was like a kid. :drool:  My shoulder looks the look along with it.   :z-dizzy:

Old Gobbler

Quote from: SumToy on July 08, 2012, 11:04:57 AM
It was a HW 6 that did that.  I am going to sit back and look for some better air to test fire in.  I just had to play with it yesterday.  It came in and I was like a kid. :drool:  My shoulder looks the look along with it.   :z-dizzy:
My bad , not paying attention I thought you were shooting lead #6 in FCW

In that case  a payload of Federal HV is..... 326  - your choke has  performance levels nearing 1.25 ounces of payload in a 10 inch cir at 40

If your choke is to shoot the same shell but in #7 HW for a comparative purpose , you could theoretically  be expecting about a 260 - your going to have to shoot to know for sure

-Shannon

SumToy

Ok this was the HW 6.   If any of you know a place that has the 7's let me know.  

This is 40 yards with fed hw 2oz 6's.  It was around 90 and muggy.   It put up 193 in the 10. 

Old Gobbler

-Shannon

Thegobblergetter

William, that is fantastic with the HW 6's.  As I noted earlier, that is the load I really want to shoot and I have many boxes for future turkey hunts.  I know that I am interested in that choke if it keeps putting up numbers like that!  Thanks, John