News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pistol grip SP10 stock conversion

Started by Old Gobbler, July 04, 2012, 11:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

almost done with this conversion

I went ahead I converted a 1187 ATF brand  pistol grip stock over for my sp10 by hand fitting and epoxy filing the gaps  -I stippled the grip with a soldering iron while I was at it  solid slip resistant feel-  - all I need is final sanding  and paint and my stock is done

This was not fun to do - the stock had a main part and a adapter both had to be bored out to fit to clear the recoil spring then hand filed down to fit together , then filled with epoxy on the joints to level it with the profile of the receiver  - A internal end recoil spring tube bolt adapter was fabricated 1 inch before the recoil pad so the stock could be attached 

the LOP was shortened 1/2 inch

The recoil pad that came with this was a horrible stiff brick , it was promptly discarded , and replaced with a soft R3 pad - new adapters were built into the stock to accept the screw pattern

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Greymule

dirt road ninja

That's gonna look sharp when it's done.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

4nolz2

you da man Old Gobbler but that thing is.....well..fugly. :z-guntootsmiley: maybe it will look better sanded and dipped. :drool:

Old Gobbler

Its ugly for sure - I think I will bypass the dipping and do a duracoat job on it this time

-Shannon

Old Gobbler

Did a poorboy krylon job on the sp10 and the nova-I think  it came out pretty  good - all that is needed is some matte clear and its done

-Shannon

Gamblinman

I definitely like the pistol grip over the thumbhole stock. May have to look at mounting a Mesa Tactical stock for an 1187 on my SP-10 after the season. I like the reduced LOP. With some epoxy work, sanding, and a fresh dip, I'm sure it can be made to look like it came from the factory.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 02, 2013, 09:15:44 PM
I definitely like the pistol grip over the thumbhole stock. May have to look at mounting a Mesa Tactical stock for an 1187 on my SP-10 after the season. I like the reduced LOP. With some epoxy work, sanding, and a fresh dip, I'm sure it can be made to look like it came from the factory.

Gman
The mesa is very nice -  the inside of a 1187 has to be bored out by the grip - if you are using Mesa Tactical Urbino I think they only make them for a 870 but that might be do-able 

You can lower the pull by almost a inch ,thats where the action spring tube starts to almost but up to the recoil pad , if you recess the inside of the pad or grind down the action tube spring bolt you can get a little more

-Shannon

Gamblinman

I was able to cut off about 5/8" off the 1187 thumbhole stock and still get the action spring bolt inside the stock..plus the thumbhole stock was already a  little shorter, so LOP is 1 1/4" shorter with the thumbhole.

Yes..the Urbino stock is available for the 1187:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/883435/mesa-tactical-urbino-tactical-stock-system-with-limbsaver-recoil-pad-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-gauge-synthetic-black

Not a  problem modifying..I have a master machinist as a next door neighbor with all kinds of milling and boring equipment. We had a blast making the thumbhole fit. We were able to do some milling where the stock meets the receiver and actually got it quite close to the same size. You have to look close to see the difference.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Old Gobbler

That would be one nice stock

I am surprised the Mesa recoil spring ones are not more popular with the  mossberg and 870 users -- 

-Shannon

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 05, 2013, 10:45:42 PM
That would be one nice stock

I am surprised the Mesa recoil spring ones are not more popular with the  mossberg and 870 users --

If they made one to fit the 935 I would order it today.