turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF missed it again

Started by FullChoke, June 30, 2012, 12:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Not surprising at all. It will take time for those in charge of publications to cycle out. I remember 4 years ago on this forum if you mentioned #7's for turkeys a lot of folks were fainting at their keyboards. 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Gadget

Quote from: FullChoke on June 30, 2012, 12:46:31 AM
Man, do they not have fact checkers in Edgefield? Let me preach on it.

In the most recent edition of Turkey Call magazine, there is an article about 20 gauge shotguns for turkeys! Wow, finally an article about us! Once I started reading the article my excitement drained out faster than an IRA. Essentially they said that the little 20 gauge popgun was fine for chirrens, weak women and feeble old men who lacked the upper body strength needed to hold a proper 12 gauge turkey gun steady when Tom stops way on out yonder and starts looking for love. While there is a shred of possible validity in the authors premise, he does not truly realize the strength of the rising 20 gauge tide that is sweeping the turkey hunting community. The 20 gauge is no longer being dismissed out of hand as an marginally adequate firearm for turkeys relegated as a training gun until a "real" weapon was acquired. Look over on the patterning section and start investigating the results of conscientious shooters who have spent the time at the patterning boards searching for that ideal 20 gauge combination of barrel length and treatment, choke tube designs and constrictions and awesome commercial shotshells that are nothing short of a doctoral thesis on physics.

The author also made it a point to state twice that 20 gauge guns were ok to use in the spring woods, but only if you got the turkey 10 yards closer to you than the distance you would shoot them at using the 12 gauge shotgun.  Never mind the fact that the pellets in a 20 gauge shell are traveling at the same speed as those from a 12 gauge. If the 20 throws a good even pattern of a minimum of 100 sufficiently sized shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards, the rest of the argument is moot. 40 yards is the standard by which all shotguns are judged and our 20 gauge is generally not found lacking in it's ability to deliver that 1-shot kill at that range.

Guys, you simply missed it. Long live the 20!

FullChoke
Captain, The Roaring 20's

Great post.......... right on the money.

WyoHunter

Obviously a turkey "writer" and not a hunter. They used to be called "typewriter" hunters.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

J Gilbert

Haven't checked in over here in awhile, post the writer's name if you can, I'd like to send him my article from this spring that was ran in GON and AON.  He would do well to read and look into what I had to say

drenalinld

J Gilbert, I would love to read your article. Can you post a link?

FullChoke

Quote from: J Gilbert on August 06, 2012, 02:42:22 PM
Haven't checked in over here in awhile, post the writer's name if you can, I'd like to send him my article from this spring that was ran in GON and AON.  He would do well to read and look into what I had to say

The author of the article is W.H. "Chip" Gross. I believe that he would do well to hear from another writer about this subject that he wrote about. I too would like to read your article.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

J Gilbert

My article only ran in print, but I'll see about scanning it in the next couple days so I can send it to anyone interested.  It wasn't as in-depth as I had intended it, simply because it ran as a one page article instead of multiple pages, but I think it explains the benefits of the 20 fairly well

gobblergls

There are some knowledgeable turkey hunters who still believe that TSS 9s are nothing but hype.  They can't get through their thick heads that 9s can do the job effectively at 40 yards.

Gadget

Quote from: gobblergls on August 08, 2012, 07:45:56 AM
There are some knowledgeable turkey hunters who still believe that TSS 9s are nothing but hype.  They can't get through their thick heads that 9s can do the job effectively at 40 yards.

TSS....? That's blasphemy;D

sent from my HTC EVO LTE on Tapatalk2

J Gilbert

Quote from: Gadget on August 08, 2012, 01:38:30 PM
Quote from: gobblergls on August 08, 2012, 07:45:56 AM

TSS....? That's blasphemy;D

sent from my HTC EVO LTE on Tapatalk2

Talcum Super Shot??

I don't care what anybody says about it, I've killed 5 or 6 birds with TSS in the last few years and each one went down HARD.  That being said, I'll probably dial it back to the Federal shells this spring due to the price on TSS and supplies. I'd like to think I'll kill all my birds with my Obsession bow, but who knows how that'll work