OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug W/Hevi-13

Started by Jacobson, June 21, 2012, 06:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacobson

Here is my pattern from today. Hevi-13 3-1/2" #7s put in 328 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Hevi-Shot choke tube .662 I am a happy camper with this pattern, and I might have gotten the number a little higher with moving the circle a little. This was also after several shots as I do not clean in between shots. I tested five differant loads and was not impressed with the Magnum Blends out of this setup with 199 in a 10".         

captin_hook

nyhunter

vaturkey

Vaturkey

Grunt-N-Gobble

yelpy

Nice! That is the next choke I planned on trying in mine. The Hevi chokes work great in my SBEII.

Creature Teacher

Nice pattern!!  What was the temperature and does that light thing kick you?

Jacobson

The temp was in the 70s, with very little wind. Multiple shots from this gun are punishing, but as I have said, you are on the bench leaning into the gun. The nice thing about the thug with the LPA trigger is that it is hard to pull off the target with a 3# trigger, as you just seem to squeeze and the payload is gone. I was worried about the short barrel being hard to find a good setup, but it happened very fast for me, with my second outing the gun hit it out of the park.  I might add that Winchester 3" Extended Range with 1-3/4 oz #6 put in 208 in a 10" at 40 yards. This load did not make you see stars, but patterned very even with this setup. Those are great numbers IMO for a 1-3/4oz load. There is no turkey that can walk through that.   

Jacobson

Hi Creature Teacher, I just realized who you are. You are the guy who helped me pattern this gun. Thank You for all your help. For those of you that do not know. Creature Teacher is my go to guy for any info on Guns, Ballistics and Turkey Killing Ideas.        :welcomeOG:   

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jacobson on June 21, 2012, 06:09:57 PM
Here is my pattern from today. Hevi-13 3-1/2" #7s put in 328 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Hevi-Shot choke tube .662 I am a happy camper with this pattern, and I might have gotten the number a little higher with moving the circle a little. This was also after several shots as I do not clean in between shots. I tested five differant loads and was not impressed with the Magnum Blends out of this setup with 199 in a 10".         

That's a very dense and good looking pattern. I am seeing excellent patterns with all of the Hevi-13 turkey chokes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

Pattern looks great!  Nothing wrong with the 199 from the Mag Blends.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BandedSpur

Sounds like that combo is patterning everything well. Congrats.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jacobson

Quote from: allaboutshooting on June 27, 2012, 12:24:29 PM
Quote from: Jacobson on June 21, 2012, 06:09:57 PM

That's a very dense and good looking pattern. I am seeing excellent patterns with all of the Hevi-13 turkey chokes.

Thanks,
Clark
Clark, Thank you, the Hevi-Shot choke tube is one that you had recommended.         Chris