OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Toughest place to kill turkeys in the US?

Started by Hooksfan, June 06, 2012, 01:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Quote from: slamman on June 14, 2012, 09:11:45 PM
I would have to say Nevada birds are few and far between there.

Now thats a darn good candidate.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

redleg06

I think it's all relative and pretty hard to make a Educated answer unless you've hunted specific states AND specific places within said states on a consitent basis.

I hunted a new place in Texas for the first time last year and it had never been hunted before and was covered with birds...it was almost like
stealing. But i've hunted places in the same state that had lesser habitat and more pressure and it was much more challenging. The birds weren't much different when you found them and were away from the crowd but if either of those places was the ONLY place you'd hunted in the state of tx, you'd probably come up with two different opinions of how hard they are to hunt.

Same thing in when I moved to Alabama this year- I killed my first bama bird on my second hunt as an alabamian and it was as easy as any turkey I've ever killed....that was on private land with great habitat. I went to other places that were tougher and I had to work harder for the birds because of more pressure, harder terrain (a tx boy wasn't used to those steep hills), and more pressure etc. 

I honestly think turkey are turkey are turkey...they just do what they do. Some places have higher concentrations of them and less people out there boogering them up and it makes the birds easier to kill.   

Fatbeard

Southeast Mountain birds are tough! TN,NC and WV are rugged and steep with very smart gobblers
East TN Beard Buster

busta biggun

renegade19

Southern Illinois for me last 5th season!

savagecaller

Quote from: AngryBird on June 06, 2012, 04:54:43 PM
Inside the city limits!   :funnyturkey:
I kinda like callin' to them city birds ( on 25 acres or more zoned agricultural of course ) you just have to learn their slang language. Like a single gobble right after a loud metallic banging sound means: That garbage truck just scared the scat out of me , and when a hen putts real loud and looks my way that means : you better get that call on outta here savage, you ain't foolin' nobody......

El Pavo Grande

I've hunted 7 different states and agree with many that turkeys are turkeys anywhere, and the most difficult to kill consistently are in areas that receive the most hunting pressure or have less turkeys available to hunt.  Timing is key too.  Even the best areas with solid turkey numbers can prove not so easy to kill them at the wrong time.  Even a few days can make all the difference.  With that said, the toughest turkeys I have personally hunted are public land AL, MS, & AR......lots of pressure on each.