OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Toughest place to kill turkeys in the US?

Started by Hooksfan, June 06, 2012, 01:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

I'm sure this topic has been tossed about, but I am curious to see what folks would say would be the toughest general area in the nation to be successful turkey hunting?  I have hunted nine different states over a thirty year span from South Dakota to Louisiana and I am convinced the toughest birds are located in the Florida Parishes of Southeast Louisiana where I grew up.  I would also argue that those birds have more characteristics in common with the Osceola than they do the Eastern, but that's a whole separate debate.
What say all of you?

Spring Creek Calls

In the states that I've hunted turkey, I believe public ground turkeys in MO are the most difficult. These are the states that I've hunted and shot toms; MI, OH, IN, MO, SD and KS.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Grobec1

Where I hunt!!!!!!!!!!
Florida Parishes near Chipola, La.

TrackeySauresRex

I've only hunted easterns in three different states. NJ,Pa,NY..   I would say NY birds have been the toughest for me.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

longbeard11

mountain gobblers on big ridges and hollows in WV!! I have only hunted a few places so mine is not a good judge, i was just throwing out that mountain gobblers are some of the toughest birds to hunt and kill, they arent dumb lol

Gut_Pile

Southeastern gobblers. If you can kill them here you can kill them anywhere
Proud Member of The Tenth Legion Since 2004

nannas guide

There are two types of hunters; normal hunters and turkey hunters.

STRYKER

I have only hunted turkeys in WV but i read where only 5 percent success rate in Florida so i would have to say Florida.

Hooksfan

Quote from: Grobec1 on June 06, 2012, 02:08:03 PM
Where I hunt!!!!!!!!!!

Well if u know where Montpelier is, then you know my home town.  Family place is on the Tickfaw River.

Grobec1

Quote from: Hooksfan on June 06, 2012, 02:46:30 PM
Quote from: Grobec1 on June 06, 2012, 02:08:03 PM
Where I hunt!!!!!!!!!!

Well if u know where Montpelier is, then you know my home town.  Family place is on the Tickfaw River.
Know exactly where it is. Stop by Dykes Feed Store on the way to my camp a lot. Also have been to Bear Creek steak house a few times.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: slickyboyboo on June 06, 2012, 03:13:09 PM
A quote from Preston Pittman that I think sums it up in a nutshell! I've heard him say this many times in several of his seminar presentations, and many times in just personal conservation between he and I.

"If you can kill a turkey in Mississippi, Louisiana or Alabama, you can kill one anywhere."

+1

I have killed them in AL, FL, MS, and GA - I have killed some that I made look stupid and I have chased one bird all day for five days straight, roost him every evening and be with him at flydown and not kill him!

I am going after Rio's and Merriams next year so I hope to have a beter feel for it, but I do believe it is the hardest in the SE!

hunter22

I have killed turkeys in several states and to me the toughest are the public land birds in Mississippi.

bird

dirt road ninja

I've only hunted them in MS, AL, and LA. Can say there is not a darn bit of difference between them, at least that I've noticed.  I can tell you with no degree of uncertainty that it easier on ground with lots of birds than ground with very few. Been fortunate enough to hunt great ground and it's so much better than the very good ground I have now. Poor ground with very few birds will make any sane man take up golf.

guesswho

I can't really say that any are tougher in any given area I've hunted, private or public.  About the only thing I can say is it's a good thing me and a couple of my buddy's don't live in Ne.

Turkey's are as hard to kill as people make them.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff