North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Interested in Your Opinion

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 28, 2011, 09:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were in the market for a custom longbox, which of these three callmakers would you choose?

Pappy's longbox
20 (42.6%)
SS Custom longbox
19 (40.4%)
Albert Paul longbox
8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 43

StruttinGobbler3

Believe I'm going to add a good custom longbox to my collection. After much deliberation, I've narrowed it down to these three callmakers. Which would you choose, and why? Thanks.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

chufagold

hookedspur

I dont know one of the call makers you have listed but a call from either of the other two would make a great addition to anyones tool bag ... NO IM NOT SAYING !!!!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

StruttinGobbler3

QuotePosted by: hookedspur  Posted on: Today at 12:28:00 AM 
Insert Quote 
I dont know one of the call makers you have listed but a call from either of the other two would make a great addition to anyones tool bag ... NO IM NOT SAYING !!!!

Come on...spill it!!  :TooFunny:
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

willy8457

All Three of these callmakers make good calls,  I own a Albert call long box in poplar/  walnut and have had very good luck with it. also check out Marlin's fiddle box's  Very nice calls.

M Sharpe

I got Al and Josh to make me a longbox a couple weeks ago. It is a zebrawood over walnut and is alllllll turkey. Kees on both sides, good rasp on the end. You don't have to push on the paddle to make it yelp or kee-kee. The weight of the paddle does all of the work. It has the sound that a long box is suppose to have. Don't think you will find a better one.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

drum817

Quote from: M Sharpe on March 01, 2011, 07:40:03 AM
I got Al and Josh to make me a longbox a couple weeks ago. It is a zebrawood over walnut and is alllllll turkey. Kees on both sides, good rasp on the end. You don't have to push on the paddle to make it yelp or kee-kee. The weight of the paddle does all of the work. It has the sound that a long box is suppose to have. Don't think you will find a better one.

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

mossy835

I will order from Pappy because of the pot call I purchased from him and the ease of the transaction. Most likely it will be a scratch box.

shootumindaface

Im not a long box person.. But the SS's I heard at the convention were smoking

Flydown

paboxcall

Quote from: Daryl on March 01, 2011, 12:11:15 PM
You can't go wrong with a call from Al and Josh.

:agreed:

My advice is you call each of them on the phone, and have them run a few to find what your ear likes to hear in a call.

Just a suggestion.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

TRKYHTR

I think if you could have all 3 of them in your hands and run them it would be an easy decision, but thats probably not possible. I agree with PAboxcaller. Call all 3 of them and ask them to play their calls over the phone. I am a little biased because I have 15+ Albert Paul box calls. I also have calls from the other 2 call makers. Good luck with your choice.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck