OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

?'s for tube call makers.

Started by spurman, June 03, 2012, 10:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurman

How to get a raspy sounding tube call? Is it in the reed, type of wood, call dimensions, the operator or a combination of all of these.  What is your favorite wood and reed combo. All help will be appreciated.
Bill

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

TRKYHTR

A combo of all 3. You know you can put a double reed on your tube calls. Just layer them like a mouth call. I like a larger mouth hole, 1". I think a smaller mouth hole makes it a little higher pitch because there is less latex available to play. JMO

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

I am not a call maker but have bought a bunch of tubes in the last year and spent a lot of time running them. IMO the rasp comes from tuning the latex most of all and skill of the caller second with call design being least important. I think a bigger diameter tube is easier to get the raspy back end for sure. The key for rasp is a little more pressure on the latex toward the bottom of the call than toward the sides to give it the crescent shape. If the latex is too tight is is nearly impossible to get the raspy sound. Look up the video on here where Houndstooth demonstrates the proper way to tune a tube. The skill is very light lip pressure and way less air than one might think.