OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on how to reset glass on zebra pot

Started by Eric Gregg, June 02, 2012, 03:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

Made a zebra wood glass over slate pot and after the first season found that the glass had not sealed in one area. So, I managed to get the glass off of the pot without scratcing it or damaging the wood.
My question is will I have to clean the area where the glass sets to reset the glass back onto to the pot. And, why type of adhesive are you guys using to set glass into place on yours.

Thanks

Eric

stone road turkey calls

eric, i think you will find that 99% of your call makers use plumbers goop or just goop any kind there all the same. good luck.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

misfire

Plumbers Goop, and YES, clean off the surface. I would put it back on the lathe and lightly touch a skew to the surface to clean it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

DeWayne Knight

Quote from: misfire on June 04, 2012, 08:33:22 AM
Plumbers Goop, and YES, clean off the surface. I would put it back on the lathe and lightly touch a skew to the surface to clean it

If you have a chuck capable of holding the call from the outside, that makes a lot of sense to me!  Great advice misfire!

lightsoutcalls

Here's a trick I learned from a callmaker in my area:
   Make yourself a round sanding block from a piece of wood that you can't use for a call... soft wood, ugly grain, doesn't matter.  Turn the sanding block on your lathe so that the outer edge of the sanding block fits just inside the inner rim of your pot.  Using spray adhesive, adhere a piece of sandpaper (I prefer cloth backed) to the round sanding block and allow to dry.  Use scissors, shears or snips to trim the sandpaper to the exact size as the block.  Holding the call in one hand and the sanding block in the other, rotate the 2 in opposite directions as you sand the "shelf" or "ledge" of the call.  This will true up the shelf so the glue will adhere evenly on the surface. 
   I make one a bit smaller to sand my pedestal as well. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

DeWayne Knight

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on June 04, 2012, 09:32:25 AM
Here's a trick I learned from a callmaker in my area:
   Make yourself a round sanding block from a piece of wood that you can't use for a call... soft wood, ugly grain, doesn't matter.  Turn the sanding block on your lathe so that the outer edge of the sanding block fits just inside the inner rim of your pot.  Using spray adhesive, adhere a piece of sandpaper (I prefer cloth backed) to the round sanding block and allow to dry.  Use scissors, shears or snips to trim the sandpaper to the exact size as the block.  Holding the call in one hand and the sanding block in the other, rotate the 2 in opposite directions as you sand the "shelf" or "ledge" of the call.  This will true up the shelf so the glue will adhere evenly on the surface. 
   I make one a bit smaller to sand my pedestal as well. 

Great tips there too, Wendell!!!

misfire

Quote from: DeWayne Knight on June 04, 2012, 09:19:25 AM
Quote from: misfire on June 04, 2012, 08:33:22 AM

If you have a chuck capable of holding the call from the outside, that makes a lot of sense to me!  Great advice misfire!

Dont ask me how I know that works :TooFunny:
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Eric Gregg

Thanks for the advice.
This is one of my first calls that I mave made and I wanted to be able to salvage it.

Thanks for all the help.