OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

trumpet call opinions needed

Started by cleanslate, May 26, 2012, 02:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanslate

I'm wanting to get a handle on what folks are wanting in a trumpet call. Besides the sound quality (I know that it is a call and is supposed to be able to make the sounds of a turkey), I am specifically looking for input as far as the external dimensions. Most of the trumpet calls that I see folks making all follow the same basic design guidelines: thin near the ferrule tapering to the bell end with a flare outward at the bell end and some beading and such in between. When I started making trumpets I made the first couple in this traditional manner, but soon I wanted to kind of do my own thing and fort of break away from the traditional external shape of the trumpet calls. Here are three of the calls that I have made, all a different design. If you all could, please let me know which one you would rather have and why.

A larger bodied call made from what I believe to be bloodwood.

A really thin bodied call made from the same wood.

And finally a more traditional styled call made out of padauk.

I am trying to figure out what folks are looking in the shape of a call so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the input and God bless,
Derrick.

cleanslate

Thank you for the reply. I always put the sound quality first on the list of priorities and have found the internal dimensions that I need to make my calls talk turkey. I know what you're saying about turning calls & trashing calls. just today I turned a bocote trumpet with an antler mouthpiece that sounded like crap. So I turned a rosewood call and used the same exact antler mouthpiece, sounded like crap. Tried a different mouthpiece and they sound great. so the mouthpiece is now in the scrap pile. I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything by saying this, but I know that when I finish a trumpet that it will talk the talk. If not it gets scrapped. I'm just trying to figure out (besides sound) what is appealing to most folks. By the way, thank you for the compliment at the end of your reply. I believe that the first call that I ever traded was with you. If you ever want to get another trade going just hit me up.

TRKYHTR

When I first started making trumpets I made them with alot of curves. I called them my girls. Once I got the inside like I wanted and they started sounding good I still couldn't sale any. Then I started making some with the sleeker design and people liked them and started buying them. I guess most people wanted them to look like the typical trumpet and call good before the were interested.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

cleanslate

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus that I'm getting. I guess kind of a less is more thing. Thanks for the input Joe.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: cleanslate on May 27, 2012, 11:48:12 AM
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus that I'm getting. I guess kind of a less is more thing. Thanks for the input Joe.

IMO, less is more. I really like a light-weight call and the sleeker designs usually are lighter...

pappy

Well, I have to toot my trumpet...lol....I too, tried several designs, but ended up with thinner sleek looking trumpets, why? I believe that old school is deep set in the minds of all hunters/collectors alike. If we think about it, what were the first trumoets designed after, wingbones, and the size, shape and length has been stuck in this desirable rut for generations. People want lightweight when they hang a call around their kneck, they want the call to form in their hand, they also look for quality made well finished calls. I have tried so many different types of materials, but it comes down to woods with great resonating qualities, your paduak caller has many of these qualities, I would suggest one thing, that the mouthpiece area not be larger in diameter then the end of the trumpet it is mounted into, keep the taper working in one direction, as this is what most look for. Look at Brian Meros trumoets, even though they have the larger bell the taper works well towards the mouthpiece, look at Joe's or Matt's or mine, they all have this similar flow. When you hit on a "perfect" call design, let me know....pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

cleanslate

I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for their input on this subject. I have seen calls made by a lot of the folks that have posted on here and I know that I am getting some good solid advice from both the folks who use and craft these particular style calls. I truly am appreciative of all of the advice and input given and am soaking it all in. Thanks again folks.

savduck

I picked up trumpet calling because it is Old school and a lot of guys dont use them. I prefer the classical look over the ornate look.

Id prefer the third one of yours over the other two.
Georgia Boy

Jacobson

I also prefer the simple old school style. I have an Art background and will just say sometimes less is more. To me as a call buyer. The sound is what I am interested in. As a call maker IMO, consentrating on sound is what I would dwell on. Simplicity will let the wood grain do the talking. Good Luck

jbrown