North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Auto verse Pump

Started by 29810434, May 29, 2012, 04:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whats everyone's opinion on a auto shotgun or a pump shotgun for turkey hunting?

dirt road ninja

Got both. I've yet to be sitting with my pump and thought I'd have killed that bird with an Auto or vise versa. There's no difference down range, it's all in what you like, want, or can afford.

remmy1187

Very well said dirt road ninja, I also have both but I do prefer a semi.  Less recoil with a semi and I dont like the wobbly forend of pumps.  Pumps do have their plus's too.  Go with what fits you.

stinkpickle

They're both for wussies!  All I need is a good pair of pliers and a hammer.

chipper

Got both and am confident with both but as I'm getting older and my shoulder which I messed ip in a wreck bothers me more with arthritis as the years go by I find myself using the auto more because its softer shooting.

Eric Gregg

I have an 870 and like it. It is a compact youth model and light to tote around in the woods.
I am looking to add the it's brother the 11-87 to my arsenal sometime soon just so I can have the pair. I like the feel of both. I bought the 870 just because of the good reputation the action has had over the years.

Can't wait to get the auto loader and try it out one day.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: dirt road ninja on May 29, 2012, 04:14:58 PM
Got both. I've yet to be sitting with my pump and thought I'd have killed that bird with an Auto or vise versa. There's no difference down range, it's all in what you like, want, or can afford.
I agree. I have both. I hunt with several different pumps and autos. I like them all!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mikejd

Quote from: remmy1187 on May 29, 2012, 04:40:19 PM
Very well said dirt road ninja, I also have both but I do prefer a semi.  Less recoil with a semi and I dont like the wobbly forend of pumps.  Pumps do have their plus's too.  Go with what fits you.

Not all forends wobble.. My 1300's are as tight as an auto.

Rockhound

I cannot pay more money for something thats going to do less i choose pumps because of the ability to shoot and eject 2-3/4 to 3-1/2

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on May 29, 2012, 04:14:58 PM

Totally agree with this, but I have personally always just prefered a pump.  Less to go wrong in my opinion.  In the turkey woods I take no chances with anything!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TauntoHawk

this is kind of what im weighting out right now.. I know I want a new turkey gun and it must take 3.5's but im not sure whether I should go semi or save with a pump..

I dont NEED the semi action for turkey as I've never required a fast follow up shot, but I like the idea of a solid forend and I want the softest recoil possible  
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

captin_hook

I'm happy with a pump for turkeys. Ive needed a follow up shot only a couple times and the pump was more than quick enough.

Swenny

beagler

Whatever fits/patterns best is the one to carry.
Never Misses

GOLD HUNTER

I got both, but like a auto loader, u shoot and now you got a load ready for the next one !!!

oh just DON"T ASK what barrel length we like........ :TooFunny: