turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My first call

Started by scott63, May 23, 2012, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott63

Here is my first attempt at a box call, so be gentle lol. I grew up working in a cabinet shop, so I thought it would be easy. It was not! Tuning is really meticulous/tricky, at least for a beginner. My goal is to get good enough so I can make a few for friends and family.

I'm really happy with how it sounds, I was wanting to get a mellow non- raspy sound and it took some doing. This call started out all walnut, but I just could not get the sound I wanted. I decided to try an oak lid and got the sound I wanted. The oak came from my property, so that is kinda special. Does oak make a good box? I've searched but haven't come up with much.

Thanks for looking..................Scott

JELLYHEAD

Ain't nothing wrong with that! The call is beautiful, I love the lid.  :icon_thumright:  :welcomeOG:
Grain on box is cool too.

MarkJM

Dang thats a good looking call. I havent seen to many oak box calls but then again I dont make box calls. I am not sure about oak being suitable for it or not.
MuellerCustomCalls

Houndstooth Game Calls

That is a sweet call no doubt is a one piece call body or are the sides glued. Regardless I love stand if it sound like turkey the woods perfect!!!

scott63

Thanks for your thoughts on my call. The oak is one of many planks that came from the crotch of a white oak that has mineralization. Unfortunately the miller cut the planks on the thin side and they won't work for the jewelry boxes/picture frames I had planned for them.

The box is one piece of figured walnut, I left it square as I was trying for a deeper sound.

I've got some older burl oak I may try as a box, it is very tight grained. I have some cedar, walnut and butternut for boxes and madrone, hickory, cedar, oak, plum, and walnut for lids. I might be able to get a couple manzanita lids outta a large chunk. May be some interesting combinations, and experimenting is part of the fun I think. Thanks again.........Scott

West Augusta

Making a few for family and friends is where we all started.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
The box looks great.  Beautiful piece of wood.  Looks 100 times better than my first.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

dirt road ninja

Swamp

Quote from: West Augusta on May 24, 2012, 01:29:49 PM
Making a few for family and friends is where we all started.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
The box looks great.  Beautiful piece of wood.  Looks 100 times better than my first.

Amen! ive sold two calls so far one to a buddy i work with and the other to a friend i hunt with all the time, and there is no telling how many people at work  and around town that have came to me asking me to make them a call. Congrats on the call it looks great!

cleanslate

Beautiful looking wood on that call! I haven't noticed many calls made out of oak. That being said, if you are able to tune it to make the sounds of a turkey, why not, right? Again, beautiful work, especially for a first call.

culpeper

First the wood is amazing :o  I have had some good calls built with a White Oak lid...I had to thin them down a bit due to the weight of the wood, but they produced a great raspy yelp.  Put them over soft maple and poplar.

I don't know that leaving the box square had anything to do with the sound being deeper.  I believe that came from the wood itself, the thickness of your rails and where/how you tuned the call.  Nontheless, I simply can't take my eyes off that oak lid!!

Keep at it, it will come.  Last, check your PM--sent you a message.

albrubacker

That is a heck of a first call! Awesome wood grain!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Gut_Pile

Proud Member of The Tenth Legion Since 2004

eman375

Great job! Good looking call. I have a feeling that you'rre gonna find yourself making calls for more than just friends and family...

Half fast

870FaceLift

:icon_thumright:

Love the character of the wood.  Nice call you made there.
Pass it on...