OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Gauge Questions

Started by gwa, May 20, 2012, 07:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwa

I have a Remington 1100 chambered 2 3/4 20 gauge that I bought back in the early 80's and haven't shot since then but would like to dig it out. Full choke but not interchangeable chokes. Shiny as 1100's could be at the time. Non ribbed barrel.
Questions
I would like to "upgrade" it but is it worth it?

What for "turkey" guns are available in 20 gauge that require no mods in a single shot preferably? Is this a more realistic route to take? I carry an 835 now but want to lighten up.

Thanks for any help!

Denny

gwa

I am unfamiliar with TSS shot but does it make that much of a difference? I used to shoot Federal and it had a tight pattern but I know there is better out there.

What about hiding the shine? Both the barrel and stock.

Thanks!
Denny

gwa

I got the camo figured out after browsing the site.

Now onto a better sighting setup as I said before it is not ribbed and not drilled for a scope, I will look through the optics section but if anyone has any ideas please post them.

Thank you OG support group!

I think this is coming together nicely!

Denny

gobblergls

There are differing opinions on shooting TSS out of full-choked barrels other than those made full by screw in chokes recommended for HTL shot.  Some believe TSS will eventually damage the barrel; others believe #9 TSS is too small to cause a ring at the barrel choke as does large size steel shot.  I'll leave the pro and cons to others and move on to your second question.

The H&R Topper Classic is a good single shot for 20 gauge with a proper screw-in choke and rifle sights.  This is an economical rig that is light weight.  New England Firearms also makes a similar single shot.  The upper extreme of cost is the TC Encore Turkey gun.  The old Savage 220 would be my choice if you could find one.  It is hammerless.  For the money it costs, a Youth Model 870 or Mossberg Super Bantam can be had cheaper with the advantage of 3 shots over the Encore.  The debate of Mossberg v. Remington follows the same pattern as does the Ford v. Chevy debate.  The pros and cons of each are the topics of numerous threads in the 20 gauge section.  

Here are some old threads on the single shot.  It has good photos of the Savage and H&R rigs. 
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,24836.0.html
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,9329.0.html

mad815

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/mad815/009-1.jpg     -----   NEF 20ga., Undertaker Choke, Federal Heavyweight flite control #7.    48 paces.     I own 4 turkey shotguns and this single shot 20ga. is my gun of choice.  Ya can throw it in the mud, beat it with a stick and it will function like no other.        Web

gwa

Thanks for the replies. However the replies bring up a few more questions that I need to ask myself, new gun options, shotshell choices, optics and such but mainly the new gun options as well as gauge. But I have to be satisfied in my choice.

What is the main advantage of the 20 gauge?

Is the 20 3" close to a 12 2 3/4"?

Thanks.
Denny

I read about the TSS and because from what I read about it it is reload only, yes? I reload rifle now but have nothing for shotshell.

gobblergls

Mad815, welcome aboard on  your first post! Nice looking gun of yours (and bird, too).
Here's your gun:

gobblergls

Quote from: gwa on May 21, 2012, 09:22:05 PM

With the right load, it carries like a 20, but shoots like a 12.  Depending on gun and accessories, it can be 1.5 to 2 lbs. or more lighter than a 12.  Might not be important to someone who hunkers down in a blind with decoys, but for running and gunning, a 20 beats carrying a 12. And don't get me started on 10 gauges.  ;)

surehuntsalot

Quote from: gobblergls on May 21, 2012, 09:29:17 PM

With the right load, it carries like a 20, but shoots like a 12.  Depending on gun and accessories, it can be 1.5 to 2 lbs. or more lighter than a 12.  Might not be important to someone who hunkers down in a blind with decoys, but for running and gunning, a 20 beats carrying a 12. And don't get me started on 10 gauges.  ;)

+ 100 on everything he said,especially the lighter weight
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Sand Man

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 21, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
Quote from: gobblergls on May 21, 2012, 09:29:17 PM

+ 100 on everything he said,especially the lighter weight

+1000 and I'd add lighter recoil/felt recoil as well.  I've noticed numerous times this year I've carried the gun held in my right hand and not slung over my shoulder.  I hardly notice it's there.  Not to mention the overall length is so much shorter it's a dream to not hang on ever limb I go under and it makes getting on target much easier and with less movement.

Is the 20 3" close to a 12 2 3/4"?

With TSS, BETTER!  I'd venture to say my 870 20ga patterns and kills as good as or better than any factory over the counter ammo I've used in any 12ga in 3" and 3.5".

Quote from: gwa on May 21, 2012, 09:22:05 PMI read about the TSS and because from what I read about it it is reload only, yes? I reload rifle now but have nothing for shotshell.

Correct.  Reload only.  I just got into reloading rifle as I started in shotshell reloading.  I can say without a doubt shotshell is much easier.  If you are confident in reloading rifle ammo, shotgun will not be a problem.  I'm strickly talking about what a PIA brass prep is, but I guess that depends on how far you go in your rifle reloading.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

gwa

Thanks for opening my eyes to options I didn't know about

Denny

gwa

I was just at the local gunshop and they have Mossberg 20 gage Turkey Thug, I believe, that looks interesting, does anyone know anything about these guns?

Thanks!

Denny

R AJ

Quote from: gwa on August 25, 2012, 12:09:52 PM
I was just at the local gunshop and they have Mossberg 20 gage Turkey Thug, I believe, that looks interesting, does anyone know anything about these guns?

Thanks!

Denny

This gun is available as a pump or semi-auto in 20 gauge. The screw in chokes are the invector system as I recall. As for your 2 3/4" gun and full choke I would first try a 2 3/4 #7 in both H-13 and Fed HW before deciding to get a turkey gun. However, you are limited with the 2 3/4" chamber both in distance and pattern coverage. A 20 gauge pump is not that heavy and recoil is very manageable . I'll admit that in thicker woods a single barrel will eventually make you wish you had another shell when he runs off or stares at you a second or two before flying away. Yep, they can be missed, especially at close range. So why not at least get a pump with a ribbed barrel ? Good luck to you.  I never missed using a 20 gauge 2 3/4" fixed modified choke in 1100 or single barrels on three birds but can't say that for several other guns I have used. Know your pattern for a particular gun and shell  before going to the field.

gwa

Well..... I am finally going to be joining the ranks as a single shot twenty gauge turkey hunter. I am getting a few things finalized on it and when I get it, I will post some pics.
It is a Baikal...... :)
Denny

surehuntsalot

good luck with your new 20ga turkey gun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase