Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington SuperFull Choke- Can you shoot HTL loads in it?

Started by TheSportsman, February 28, 2011, 11:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Guys, a friend gave me a never fired Remingtong facactory "superfull" turkey choke today.  Its never been shot.  It says LEAD ONLY on the tube but have any of yall shoot the Hevi 13 or Win XR through it?  Would it hurt anything?  I was just thinking itd be another choke to try???  Anybody thrown any real good patterns with this choke out of a remmy?     :thanks:

Reloader

I've shot quite a bit of hevi through those chokes and know a couple others that have as well w/o a problem.  It was a very good choke with the 3.5" 1-3/4oz H13 #6 Green shells.  Some found those shells to be terrible, but the SF and those shells in one of my 870SMs hovered around 200 consistently and handled several toms with authority.

If you have any doubts, don't use it with hevi.

TheSportsman

Ok- Reloader- gonna give it a try this week when I go pattern my 870s.  Makes me feel better that other folks have shot it with Hevi. Thanks.

honker22

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

beaverslayer

I have a friend that has used the RSF lead only with the Winchester Xtended Range and Hevi Shot for years without any trouble.  It patterns very well.  I got one for the 20 ga and it greatly improved my patterns. 

deadbuck

That is a good tube that does not get much publicity. I have shot every thing except steel through mine for 10 years with no problems.

gatrkyhntr70

bought my dad a 870 express for christmas and it shoots great patterns with the hevi 3/2/6 loads, kinda makes me question why Ive spent so much on exspensive chokes in the past.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

deerslayer357

I have shot a coupe of Nitro's through them without any problems so far...

Nimrodmar10

I think the "Lead Only" designation was meant to keep people from shooting steel through it. I believe Remington was making that choke before HTL came out. I was shooting it in the first 11-87 SPS-T in this area. I bought it from the Remington Reps at the NWTF Convention, but I don't remember what year. Must have been early 90's. My loves teh Hevi 13 6s and the Nitro triplex loads.

Jbird22

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 01, 2011, 02:41:13 PM
I think the "Lead Only" designation was meant to keep people from shooting steel through it. I believe Remington was making that choke before HTL came out.

I agree.