turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem 870 ???

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 15, 2012, 10:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Why didn't Remington ever make a 10ga 870?  I would buy one if they did.

WildTigerTrout

That is a very good question. IMO they would have sold a bunch of them to waterfowl and turkey hunters.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Fastcat

Im guessing what stops them is the fact that the gun would need to be designed from the ground up.  Comparing my bps 10 to one if my 870s its easy to see how much larger the ten receiver is than a twelve.

sippy cup

I always wondered that to i got a 3 and 31/2 12 and they kick like a mule can only imagine how bad a 10 would be :OGturkeyhead:
beware of longdale legend

gobbler74

Not as bad as a super magnum or 835 with 3.5" shells.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

sippy cup

Quote from: gobbler74 on July 12, 2012, 08:38:19 PM
Not as bad as a super magnum or 835 with 3.5" shells.
your right i forgot about 835 i shot robins and genes i wouldnt carry those guns they are brutal  :funnyturkey:

gobbler74

I think the older we get guns just start kicking harder.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

sippy cup

Quote from: gobbler74 on July 12, 2012, 11:30:11 PM
I think the older we get guns just start kicking harder.
I think everything gets harder as we age look back 10 years it seems north mountain is getting harder to climb every year

R AJ

The 10 would be heavier and shooting about the same load through a larger diameter barrel than the 12 so it stands to reason that it would not kick as much as the 3.5 " magnum 12 ga.

I feel that Remington did very well to stick with what they had as a 10 ga pump would have hurt sales of the SP-10 semi-auto, a much easier recoil option over a Rem 870 10 gauge.

Old Gobbler

Remington has all kinds of things going on , new owners , a new 3.5 pump 887 gun that was a flop , a 3.5 premium auto "versa max" that's a little slow out the gate - not sure what they are thinking but I am willing to ponder they do not want to invest a pile of money into something that looks like it could potentially hurt the bottom line

A 870 10 gauge , I think it would sell , but no where on the level of the 20's and the 12 3.5's but It would be a safe prediction that a good portion of the sales would go towards collectors ,just like some of the 28 gauges are purchased in that manner - then eventually some goose and turkey hunters would purchase some 10 gauges

The  R&D work Remington did on the 12 3.5 action especially the collapsing bolt can be directly carried over  to a 10 gauge - same goes for the stock 

they could test the water by introducing just a plain 26" blued matte finish with poly stocks and see if they go for $500 - if it does well , then introduce more of them
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

dirt road ninja

Old Gobbler

Mossberg on the other hand could produce a 10 Gauge version of their 835 for a very minimal effort 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

R AJ

And likely with less recoil than that of the 835 Ulti- Shock- I mean Mag.

tha bugman

I know that the SP10 was built from the Ithaca Mag 10 designs after Remington bought them out now I heard that Ithaca has started making guns again...so sad to know that Remington has stopped manufacturing the SP-10 :begging: :'(