turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Brookside Aluminum

Started by Swamp, May 15, 2012, 09:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

Any one use aluminum form brookside? I made a call up last night and the aluminum just feels like it has no grip to it. Ive cleaned it with alcohol and it still feels slick. Should I take a scotch Brite pad to it or should I leave it alone and try something else?

stone road turkey calls

which aluminum surface did you use?
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Swamp

The black Anodized Aluminum.

stone road turkey calls

I have never used any brookside call surface, don't get mad when i ask do you have the right side up. some strikers just will not play on aluminum, or maybe sand your striker. as a new surface i would think it would not need sanded until some heavy use. i don't know let's see what the other guys have to say.

Swamp

well its the fisrt aluminum call ive made and only the 4th call ive made total. Ive tried one of my walnut strikers on it and its just slides right across the surface. I made the call for a friend of mine just trying to figure out why it has no grip to it. Thanks for the help!

stone road turkey calls

you can sand it and take care of the problem, but you will most likely remove the black finish and expose the aluminum. was the aluminum bead blasted? or powder blasted

Swamp

I believe its powder  blasted not positive their web site does not specify if it is or not.

VanHelden Game Calls

I have used the same surface you are having trouble with.  I to had problems getting bite from my strikers and your heart just sinks.  I tested both sides prior and there equal as far as I could tell.

Well since it was my call I did some reading and said heck with the black coating. I took a pc of the gray 3-m abrasive pad and decided to have at it.  WOW it worked and it did not ruin the anodization.   I ran the abrasive pad 2 directions at right angles as was mentioned somewhere on here.

Give it the abrasive pad treatment you will like it ;)

lonnie sneed jr.

Never used Brookside, but I have made alot of calls. You can clean it with Vinegar, let it set over night. If this does not fix your problem sand it and sand your striker

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:.

VanHelden Game Calls

Huh, I would assume the vinegar is etching the surface?

lonnie sneed jr.

Yes it does, it will take the slick finish right off of it. It will discoler it some, but it will work.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

ttcustomcalls

ive used it before, their non-blasted anodized aluminum only ran for me when i conditioned it with sandpaper. But if you condition it too far the aluminum color shows through. I switched over after one batch

ccleroy

What other suppliers are you guys using for aluminum?

Swamp

I said to heck with it. I sanded it with a scotch Brite pad and it runs great now. Thanks for all the help guys Ive learned almost everything that goes into making a call form this website form a great bunch of people that are willing to give advise.

Thanks-Ben

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: ccleroy on May 17, 2012, 05:34:33 PM
What other suppliers are you guys using for aluminum?

I have been getting mine from grassy creek for years.  I emailed Darin (Grassy Creek) a few weeks ago and he is completely out of blasted anodized aluminum.  He said he is having issues with either his blasting process or his anodizer that is keeping his material from being as consistent as he likes.  I hope he gets the issues ironed out soon.  I am down to about 12 pieces in the shop right now.  :o  I made up about 9 anodized aluminum calls over the weekend.  At that rate, it won't last long.  :'( 

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!