turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turtle Shell Call?

Started by wvbirdtracker, May 15, 2012, 02:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvbirdtracker

I'm new to both Old Gobbler and also attempting to make a turtle shell call. I see some places online where I can order slate, glass, alluminum, etc. Which would be easiest to deal with for a first timer. Also any suggestions on how to get an accurate measurement off of the shell so that I know how to cut my surface material?

gobblergls

Make a template out of thin cardboard.  Trim the cardboard until it fits. Trace the template over the slate.

wvbirdtracker

Well, the carboard makes sense... just realized I put turkey shell, instead of turtle.... That's a new breed we have in WV, they are beginning to grow shells along with their beards...Thanks for the cardboard idea.

WillowRidgeCalls

Just make sure the turtle shell is a legal one, a lot of states now have laws about owning turtle shells?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

smurf

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on May 16, 2012, 03:37:15 PM
Just make sure the turtle shell is a legal one, a lot of states now have laws about owning turtle shells?
In Missouri you can own any except alligator snapping turtles.  You can't even own one if you pick an empty shell up. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

wvbirdtracker

I'm fairly sure that in WV the only thing outlawed is electronic calls.... not sure why you'd want to use those anyway.