turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

matching a striker to a call?

Started by Swamp, May 13, 2012, 11:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

I'm  new to call making and I'm working on an aluminum call and I dont have any strikers pre made to test on it. Its a 3.5 in playing surface with a glass soundboard in a walnut pot. Just wondering if there are any particular woods that you use for strikers with your calls. I usually make matching striker but i dont believe my walnut striker will sound right on an aluminum call. Any suggestions?

Thanks-Ben

CASH

I'm not a callmaker, but I use which ever striker I think makes the call sound the best.  I've bought many calls that I did not care for whatever striker came with it and experimented until I was happy with a particular combo.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Longbeardfever4ever

Purpleheart, dymonwood, yellowheart, and padauk are all great.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

ccleroy

Actually I prefer walnut on aluminum calls.

Swamp

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill just have to make a few up and see what the call likes.

MarkJM

You can never go wrong with a hikory striker on any paying surface. I have made a couple walnut strikers and they sound great on any of my calls.
MuellerCustomCalls

kenturkey89

Quote from: MarkJM on May 14, 2012, 10:08:30 AM
You can never go wrong with a hikory striker on any paying surface. I have made a couple walnut strikers and they sound great on any of my calls.

I agree, hickory is a solid choice on pretty much any surface.  And I have trouble getting much rasp out of walnut strikers, but they still make a very nice striker, especially for medium-soft calling.  My favorite strikers on just about anything are hickory, yellowheart, purpleheart, and canarywood. 
Brian

lonnie sneed jr.

Swamp

Well I have a limited selection of wood I can use right now. I have cherry,hickory,oak,maple,and walnut, as of right now were im just starting out i didnt want to spend much on exotics such as padauk or purpleheart yet they will come with time lol. But thanks for all the help!

-Ben