turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

one piece or two piece strikers?

Started by scoot12, February 27, 2011, 11:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoot12

Does everyone have a preference on which one they like to use?  I am no expert but see really no difference between the two.

Eric Gregg

I have a couple of two piece strikers and one 1 piece striker.
A couple of things effect the tone;
1. The type of wood the striker is made of.
2. In the case of a two piece, the type of top that is on the striker: I have a walnut striker with a corncob top that is sweet music on my slate call.
3. The type of "tip" that is on the striker: is it rounded or "mushroom" rounded on the bottom: my one piece has a flatter, mushroom shape on the bottom.  It yelps really well and produces really sharp clucks, even on slate.

I believe that the three things listed above play a little more into factor of the sound than if the striker is one or two piece.  ;)

VanHelden Game Calls

1 or 2 pc does not matter IMO.

Weight
Balance
Density of wood.

Getting the right combination of these makes all the difference.  And of course each hunter has there own preference.  Especially in the balance, all how they use and play the striker.

I have found determining the balance point % to be a great way to determine playability of the striker.  And a good way to make a striker for a particular person.  

If you get board look up "determining front of center".  Archers use it to get specific balance of arrows.   The same formula works on strikers.  Then grab a bunch of strikers and I think you will notice there is a window of FOC that works best for you.   And knowing this you can buy correct strikers and fix strikers because you know what needs to be done.

And thats why for me I like building 2 pc.  I can dial that striker right into my FOC.

Just my 2 cents.

pappy

This is a very good post, I would prefer one piece strikers, due to their construction, two piece strikers may have some gluing issue down the road, ask Primos....but other then that, two piece strikers are as good in some cases better then one piece strikers, balance, now this is an issue all it's own. The most important factor of any striker is balance, the amount of friction carried up the stick to produce the reverb, determines the amount of volume it can carry, and balance is the key to a great working stick. I agree with Mad.....except I would probably go this way ... balance, densisty of wood, weight....and again it is up to the individual who is using the striker, their point of contact on the surface and the positioning on the stick plays a huge difference in the stick's ability to produce.
All in all, go get you a handfull of good balanced sticks, one and two piece, play them and make the choice from hands on experience. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

VanHelden Game Calls

Pappy you are correct on the order.  I did not think that far ahead to place in order, I just listed the components I worry about.  Heck I could not even spell correctly.

Thanks for straightening out my thoughts :icon_thumright:

bird

Quote from: madarchery on February 28, 2011, 07:50:52 AM
1 or 2 pc does not matter IMO.

Weight
Balance
Density of wood.

Getting the right combination of these makes all the difference.  And of course each hunter has there own preference.  Especially in the balance, all how they use and play the striker.

I have found determining the balance point % to be a great way to determine playability of the striker.  And a good way to make a striker for a particular person.  

If you get board look up "determining front of center".  Archers use it to get specific balance of arrows.   The same formula works on strikers.  Then grab a bunch of strikers and I think you will notice there is a window of FOC that works best for you.   And knowing this you can buy correct strikers and fix strikers because you know what needs to be done.

And thats why for me I like building 2 pc.  I can dial that striker right into my FOC.

Just my 2 cents.

Weight
Balance
Density of wood
Shape of the tip
diameter of the striker shaft itself

I am a firm believer that a striker is actually just as important if not more important than the call itself.  There are some strikers out there that a person couldn't do anything with on any surface or call and then you can find a striker that can take a stone cold dead sounding pot call and bring it to life because of how well it can grab the surface and awaken the turkey that was asleep inside that call.  Oh sure there some calls that no matter what you do with them you would be better off shooting them and putting them out of their misery but many times it can be the striker that a person is using that makes a difference in the sound quality that comes from it. 

I always look at wood density at how well it grabs a call surface and with that is the importance of the type or style of tip on that striker.  Me personally I like a flared tip striker that can snap or grab the surface of the call.  The diameter of the striker shaft to me is exactly as important because I want to be able to control the movement and actions of that striker with my fingers and I like a striker that feels like a pencil in my hands.  Weight or balance of the striker is also very important to how well a person can utilize it on a call.  Too top heavy or too light on the end will determine the ease or difficulty there is in handling a striker on a call. 

I have tons of different strikers in my arsenal and I will always go through them periodically and match them up with different calls but then you always have those select few "Golden" calling rods that seem to be your favorite tool to use on you calls.  For me it would be an flared tip Ebony striker from Slaton strikers.  Its like having a magic wand in my hands.

Oh yeah.... I prefer a one piece striker.

Good Luck ~ Hunt Safe ~ Take Lots of Pictures

bird

Flydown

Although I like the looks of one piece strikers,I have some pots that sound better with two piece strikers so I'm gonna have to say both have a place in my vest. :icon_thumright: