turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Iowa 4th Season Bird

Started by hotrod49er, May 09, 2012, 11:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod49er

Well, just shot this boy tonite at 6:40 pm. Got out to my honey hole at 6:00 and just about ready to sit down when I hear gobbling behind me about 150 yds. Big draw to cross so I hustle back around to get to the open field and when I get there a hen stands in field about 80 yds away. I kneel down and call, she responds they gobble. I called to her note for note and sure enough she starts coming my direction with tom in tow. She gets about 30 yds away scratching and peeking. Tom is not closing the distance, strutting, drumming at 60 plus yds. He goes back into timber and when he shows himself again he is about 35 yds.,thats when my 20 ga. barked with nitro 5 shot. Love it when a plan comes together. He weighed in at 24.4 lbs. 1 1/4 spurs, and 10 1/8 beard. So guys get out there. I have shot more birds late afternoon than in the morning. Good Luck the rest of the season.

TRKYHTR

Great looking turkey. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Mike Honcho

Nice bird , congrats.   I always enjoy hearing other hunters strategies and success stories!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Nicely done. Beautiful bird.  Hey, it looks like one is sneaking up behind you in the rocks.

magnus

What county in IA are you in?

WiLL B

captin_hook

stinkpickle

:happy0064:  That's awesome!  I had to do the same thing in Kansas the other day.  Imitating/irritating the boss hen into range and making her a live decoy is deadly leading up to roost time. 

tomstopper

MAKEemQUIVER

Go Big Blue!!!!!!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

turkey slayer