turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jellyhead Trouble (Fixed)

Started by albrubacker, May 08, 2012, 03:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albrubacker

I got a JH to try in my Ben SN. I shot about 5 shots through it and when I went to remove it I was able to pull it about 2/3 of the way out and then got tight. I really had to yank on it to get it out! Between each shot I checked it for tightness, never was it loose. It was no problem when I installed it just like every other choke. Any ideas? Is it trashed? :character0029:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

R AJ

What shells were shot? What had been shot prior to trying the JH?
Any trouble screwing it in before shooting?

albrubacker

No problem screwing it in. I have only shot turkey loads out of the gun. The shells I shot through the jellyhead choke were all Win. loads HV, XX and Super X
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

allaboutshooting

Quote from: albrubacker on May 08, 2012, 03:43:11 PM
I got a JH to try in my Ben SN. I shot about 5 shots through it and when I went to remove it I was able to pull it about 2/3 of the way out and then got tight. I really had to yank on it to get it out! Between each shot I checked it for tightness, never was it loose. It was no problem when I installed it just like every other choke. Any ideas? Is it trashed? :character0029:

It sounds like it has expanded. It happens from time to time. Normally, there's a shiny spot somewhere on the exterior and if you feel it carefully, you can probably feel the larger area.

I would return it to the place you purchased it for a replacement or to the manufacturer.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

Benelli uses the Mobil Choke system as well as the Crio Choke system.  Are you sure you used the correct choke??  I believe the Super Nova uses the Crio chokes. :OGturkeyhead:

Borden811

Actually, you can thread a Crio choke into a mobil choke gun just fine. I watched my buddy do it, twice. However, you can't put a mobil choke into a crio choke gun. The location of the threads in the barrel is what causes the problem. Mobil chokes are at the end of the barrel, crio chokes are down inside the barrel. The nova, super nova, SBE etc, use the mobil chokes. SBE II, M2, Ultralight, etc. use he crio chokes.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Borden811 on May 09, 2012, 01:19:22 PM
Actually, you can thread a Crio choke into a mobil choke gun just fine. I watched my buddy do it, twice. However, you can't put a mobil choke into a crio choke gun. The location of the threads in the barrel is what causes the problem. Mobil chokes are at the end of the barrel, crio chokes are down inside the barrel. The nova, super nova, SBE etc, use the mobil chokes. SBE II, M2, Ultralight, etc. use he crio chokes.

That's correct.

That design can be more susceptible to expansion than some others due to the thread placement and the necessity of being somewhat thinner than some others. The i.d. of some of those guns will also vary and leave some room for expansion. If the choke is not tempered or if the tempering was off just a bit, it can cause problems or if the shot bridges it can create stress which may show up as expansion.

It's very important to make sure that type of choke is secure in the muzzle. Any escape of gas at the gas skirt or particle of wad, lead, unburned powder, etc. can also create problems. That's one reason that Browning came up with their "Double Seal" (DS) for their new line of barrels/chokes that use the same design.

Things like that can happen and most manufacturers understand that and are willing to replace a choke tube when that happens.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

albrubacker

Thanks for all the info! Package was marked Ben/Ber, threads look the same as my other chokes.

—Charlie Elliott

SKFOOTER

Are the choke threads at the very end of your Super Nova's barrel or down the barrel an inch or so??

albrubacker

Quote from: SKFOOTER on May 09, 2012, 04:29:46 PM
Are the choke threads at the very end of your Super Nova's barrel or down the barrel an inch or so??
The very end

—Charlie Elliott

Old Gobbler

Quote from: albrubacker on May 08, 2012, 03:43:11 PM
The best way to resolve any perceived manufacturer issue  is to contact the manufacturer directly  -  There is no Primos rep. here , to my knowledge - 

I can tell you that I can predict they will make the issue satisfactory to your liking --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ncquackersmacker

I had a Jelly Head do the exact same thing in my SBE.  It was like it expanded just above the threads.  When I tried to put it in another SBE it wouldn't go all the way in.  Plan to send it back to Primos after the season.

albrubacker

I emailed Primos, see where it goes from here.

—Charlie Elliott

albrubacker

:z-guntootsmiley:
Primos just emailed back. They are replacing it. Kudos to primos!

—Charlie Elliott

albrubacker

Just received the replacement choke from Primos.

—Charlie Elliott