OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Super Drive Center from Penn State Industries - WOW!

Started by lightsoutcalls, May 02, 2012, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I have turned over 2,000 strikers between centers on my lathes over the past 8 years.  I have always used the standard drive centers with the + shaped head and the spur in the center. 
Recently I decided to try this little drive center from Penn State Industries:

It doesn't take much to excite some folks, but I haven't been as excited about a single upgrade on my lathe in years.  Whether I am turning cedar on the soft wood end of the spectrum or rosewood and dymondwood on the hardwood end of the spectrum, this little accessory has already earned my respect.  One little issue is the fact that the point in the center is spring loaded.  It has a screw in the head that acts as a keeper for the point.  Be sure to keep an eye on the screw.  Mine came out on the first striker or two.  I found it again as I cleaned up the dust on my bench.  It worked fine without the screw, but the point protruded farther than it should.  Being spring loaded, when you tighten the wheel on the tailstock, the pressure compresses the spring and allows the serrated teeth to bite into your stock.  I find it much easier to align the blank at the headstock with this drive center.  Here is the link to the item on their website:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSS21.html

One last plus for this little jewel is that it is smaller across than my + shaped drive center.  That means there is less chance to get my tools into the spinning "fan blades" of the drive center than with the old style.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Nolehoe

I've been eyeing those myself, might have to take the plunge
What kind of chuck do you use? Been thinking about upgrading in' that area too, I was thinking about a nova g3, or a patriot but the more I think about past turning experiences a's how having a tool that is a little off can cause big fustration the more I lean towards getting a vic marc vm100
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

lightsoutcalls

I have a nova G-3 chuck, but seldom use it.  I bought it to make tube calls, which it worked well for.  I did turn a coffee scoop a few weeks ago with it.  ;D  I don't use it on calls or strikers.  It does make a nice weight for gluing up call surfaces.  ;)

cleanslate

I bought one of their spur centers that is supposed to be used in conjunction with the chuck (no morse taper shank)& was less than impressed with it. I also have one like pictured above that I bought from woodcraft, and while it's ok, I still prefer the old traditional + style tor turning between centers.

Nolehoe

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 02, 2012, 03:44:13 PM
I have a nova G-3 chuck, but seldom use it.  I bought it to make tube calls, which it worked well for.  I did turn a coffee scoop a few weeks ago with it.  ;D  I don't use it on calls or strikers.  It does make a nice weight for gluing up call surfaces.  ;)
how do you turn your pots? Some kind of jig?

handcannon

Wendell, you think a little thread lock on the screw might help out? Unless there is another need for removing the screw, it might be worth a drop of thread lock to keep it from becoming a projectile again. Not a bad center for $20 bucks. Thanks for the info.

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: handcannon on May 02, 2012, 05:28:11 PM
Wendell, you think a little thread lock on the screw might help out? Unless there is another need for removing the screw, it might be worth a drop of thread lock to keep it from becoming a projectile again. Not a bad center for $20 bucks. Thanks for the info.

I have the same center and when the screw on mine came loose I just put a tiny dab of crazy glue on it. Thread lock would be fine too, I just didn't have any handy.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: handcannon on May 02, 2012, 05:28:11 PM

I was thinking about that as well.  I just didn't have it on hand when I was using that lathe.  I will have to track the loctite down in my shop.  It's one of those things that I don't use much.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Nolehoe on May 02, 2012, 04:37:48 PM
Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 02, 2012, 03:44:13 PM
how do you turn your pots? Some kind of jig?

I use the faceplate that came with my original Jet lathe along with an acrylic spacer and 4 screws.  The screws go in pilot holes that are eventually drilled as part of my 6 sound hole pattern.

merocustomcalls

Wendel I bought one of those 3 years ago and I love it.  My set screw also started to come out after several years of use.  Eventually the tapered shaft on the inside became worn out and the set screw wouldn't stay in place as well as when it was new.  This would allow the internal tapered shaft to wobble slightly.  I decided that I got plenty of good use out of my first one and ordered a new one to replace it.  Now I use threadlock to keep the set screw in place.  The new one has less play since it's not worn out.  I will always be using one of these.  I have no problem spending 20 bucks every three years or so on these centers.  I can't get by without them now. 

Nolehoe

Got my lathe set back up, tried out my new super drive center on some test pieces and love it!

magnoliagamecalls

+1 I too have been using this one.  I dont know how many strikers that I have turned using it. I cant even remember when I bought it. I think I lost my set screw because my point can be pulled out but I still use it without any problems. I wished everything I bought this cheap would work as good.  :OGturkeyhead:

pappy

Yep, got one of those babies in my arsenal, they are great and I agree that compared to my other drive centers they don't hold a candle to it.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Nolehoe

After reading about the set screw issue, the first I did when I received it was put loctite on the set screw