OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 and Mag Blends: What Choke?

Started by Neill_Prater, May 01, 2012, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I have basically switched to my Stoeger 2000 as my primary turkey gun, and am getting good results with a PG .670 choke and Mag Blends. I have an older 11-87 with a cantilever barrel, which, I think, is 20 inches in length. I shot Xtended #6's in the Remington the past few years, but would really like to find a choke which will work well with the Mag Blends so I will only have to purchase and keep one type of ammo for both guns, and was wondering if anyone is shooting MB's in an 11-87 with a short barrel. Thanks. 

harleytom

Mine with 23in barrel works best w/ Rhino .660.

SKFOOTER

My 21" barrel likes the Hevi-13 .662 choke with the Mag-Blend.  200+ in the 10 inch circle at 40 yards. :OGturkeyhead:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Neill_Prater on May 01, 2012, 12:34:06 AM
I have basically switched to my Stoeger 2000 as my primary turkey gun, and am getting good results with a PG .670 choke and Mag Blends. I have an older 11-87 with a cantilever barrel, which, I think, is 20 inches in length. I shot Xtended #6's in the Remington the past few years, but would really like to find a choke which will work well with the Mag Blends so I will only have to purchase and keep one type of ammo for both guns, and was wondering if anyone is shooting MB's in an 11-87 with a short barrel. Thanks. 

Hey Neill,

I have shot the Magnum Blends through my 11-87s but my shortest barrel for the 2 that I have is 24" long. They did well through that barrel with the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke when I was initially evaluating that choke and that shell. I've shot them through shorter 870 barrels and through my SxS Fox which has 19" barrels using Wright's #3 Turkey chokes with excellent results.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Grunt-N-Gobble

I had good results last year with my 11-87, short barrel using an Indian Creek .665 and 3" MagBlends.

I wasn't into all of the pattern testing like I am this year, but I made sure the core was hitting where I aimed.

This year, in a slightly longer barrel (25.5"), I was getting 180 hits inside the 10" @ 40yds.

Borat

Rhino .660 or .665

I'd order the .665 and if you're not satisfied, call them back and they'll ship you the .660 to try.  I know this, as I did it w/ my 1187 ;D

TurkeyTim

I use the Hevi-Shot choke with a 28" barrel and 3 1/2 mag blend.   I have  killed 5 turkeys in the last two years.  It patterns pretty tight at 20yds and a good pattern at 40yds.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

For RemChoke and Mag Blends, .665 is a good starting point.

SKFOOTER

For those who use the Rhino choke on their short barreled Remmys, does the blow back from the choke not bother you???

batsonbe

No you don't even notice it when you're hunting

Ridge Rooster

Never noticed any blow back from mine.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

VaTuRkStOmPeR

660 rhino.  Simply the best, most consistent choke in the Remington's ever made.