OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is a good wood lathe

Started by Gobble Stopper, April 25, 2012, 06:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Stopper

what is a good lathe at a resonable price ???

magnoliagamecalls

JMO I think a Jet for the money is a great tool. I had the single speed and really like it alot. I got a VS model and like it too.

handcannon

One of the best deals I've seen lately is at woodcraft.com . They have a variable speed mini lathe for around $270. That's a great price for a good lathe. Whatever you do, dont by the Harbor Freight lathe. It will get the job done but you wont be happy.

lightsoutcalls

Do a search on the topic.  This question has been asked MANY times with some good responses from different folks using different lathes.  My only experience has been with the Jet 1014 VS.  I have 2 sitting side by side on my bench.  One is dedicated for strikers (turning between centers) and one for pots (turning on faceplate).  I have turned around 2,000 pots and more strikers on the pair of lathes.  I have replaced bearings on each one, as well as the on/off switch.  I just ordered a new shaft, bearings and handwheel for my pot lathe.  It's getting an overhaul.  They are strong little machines and well worth the money.   I have heard good things about Rikon lathes from a couple of guys, but haven't tried them.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

stone road turkey calls

That poor old harbor frieght lathe, I bought one years ago and have a jet mini also. I still use the HF lathe it works like a new one, and i like the jet also i guess because they are the same lathe made by the same people. all parts are interchangeable. one just has more extras
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Basser69

The Rikon at woodcraft is the best deal for the money right now. At $269 you cant beat it. I have the Delta and love it. The reverse and variable speed cannot be beat.

Gobble Stopper

thanks for all the suggestions i'm thinking about getting one and start making a few strikers and calls.

M,Yingling

My jet has done real well ,,,,if getting one  on line check amozon might have free shipping
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Basser69 on April 26, 2012, 11:20:15 AM
The Rikon at woodcraft is the best deal for the money right now. At $269 you cant beat it. I have the Delta and love it. The reverse and variable speed cannot be beat.

Could someone give me a link? I could find this particular one?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

woodwzrd

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 30, 2012, 11:07:26 AM
Quote from: Basser69 on April 26, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Could someone give me a link? I could find this particular one?

Your a little late on the Rikon deal. The demand has driven the price up to 429 now. They have the 70-100 which is the same lathe as teh 70-050 but non variable speed for 379. here is the amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rikon+70-050vs&sprefix=Rikon+70-%2Caps%2C197

TauntoHawk

Thanks, just looking for a buddy and thought that was a heck of a deal
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

kenturkey89

There's been a lot of good lathes mentioned here.  The only one I can speak from experience with is the JET, and trust me, you cannot go wrong with one of those lathes!!
Brian

cleanslate

I have one from harbor freight, and have no complaints with it. It is the 5 speed mini (or midi, I'm not sure) model without the VS. I use my lathe about 4-6 days out of the week, in fact right before Christmas I was using it for at least 8 hours every day for about two weeks and it has never let me down. There is virtually no runout in the headstock spindle and the tailstock lines up perfectly with the headstock. If I needed another one tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of the same. Right now they are on sale: http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-wood-lathes/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html

handcannon

I guess I should have specified that I had the Harbor Freight 40" lathe and not one of the benchtop models. That's the one that was poorly crafted in my opinion. I originally wanted the one that cleanslate posted for my first lathe and my wife was gonna get it for me for Christmas. Well, she thought bigger was better so she bought me the one with the square tubing rails. Bless her heart for trying and I did not have the heart to tell her otherwise. Anyhow, it has too much flex with the square tubing rail system. Centers dont line up. The tail assembly has so much side to side movement, you really cant tell if you are true with the live center or not. It has been a pretty good learning experience to learn how to turn out something nice on a lathe like that. Oh well, I'll be ordering me a new lathe this friday and it should be at the house by the time I get off the rig. I'm pretty much set on getting the Delta 46-460. Cant wait to get that thing turning.

cleanslate

Quote from: handcannon on May 02, 2012, 05:21:43 PM
I guess I should have specified that I had the Harbor Freight 40" lathe and not one of the benchtop models. That's the one that was poorly crafted in my opinion. I originally wanted the one that cleanslate posted for my first lathe and my wife was gonna get it for me for Christmas. Well, she thought bigger was better so she bought me the one with the square tubing rails.

HAHAHA. That was my first lathe too. You're bringing back memories now man. Don't forget to mention that there's no morse taper in the headstock spindle and you need an adapter from penn state industries to be able to use any kind of threaded accessory with it. I went through three of those things in two years, actually bent the square thin wall tube rails once when a bowl blank kinda came loose from the centers then got wedged all cockeyed in between centers. Harbor freight does sell a bigger lathe that is pretty decent, but it has a reeves drive system, which some folks don't care for.