OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot call question

Started by n2deer, April 20, 2012, 10:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2deer

I have a particular call that is a glass pot call that uses a cocobolo wood. Forgive the spelling if that isnt correct.

Anyway, this particular call has changed sounds with me for no known reason, well I sent it back to the call maker and it came back fixed. It went from a great two note roll over yelp to a very flat yelp.

I had it for a period of time for around a year and it never left the house and it did it again and that is how it sits now. I havent sent it back yet mainly because of the lip I hear from the maker about how I messed it up by leaving it my truck in the heat.

It hasn't left the house.

Anyway im curious as to whats going on with it in your opinion. I would like to send it back again but really just sick of dealing with the whole thing.

Thanks for any advice

n2deer

I noticed alot of views but no replies.

I'm in no way calling a maker out, I'm just curious if there is someone with a idea on what's going on.

Its a very nice call that sounds great for a little while then with time just sitting in my spare room goes flat.

Could it be something coming Unglued, or perhaps the wood causing a problem.

magnoliagamecalls

I will jump in!!

From what I am reading I believe the glue is letting loose but not enough to let the playing surface fall out. You might try and push on the calling surface just to see if it gives any. Cocobola is oily which might be causing the glue to let loose from the wood. If the glue is letting loose the callmaker had to know it once he repaired the call the first time.

I would give the maker another try to fix it or ask for another call. Most callmakers will stand behind their products. If they give you a hard time maybe ask someone else to try and fix it for you.  If want to keep the call. I have fixed other calls to help some folks out that was having trouble getting them fixed.

n2deer

It does seem like it moves a little. Its not firm, seems to have just a little up and down movement.

magnoliagamecalls

Quote from: n2deer on April 21, 2012, 08:43:37 AM
It does seem like it moves a little. Its not firm, seems to have just a little up and down movement.

Its either warped or the glue has let loose. I cant guarantee anything but if you cant get fixed let me know and I will try to help you out if I can.

Longbeardfever4ever

The man posting above me is right! My guess is that the callmaker didn't wipe the lip of the call and the soundboard pedestal with Acetone before glueing it together. I made a call out of bocote for myself a few years back and I have to reglue it every year. Next time I'll be wiping it down with acetone.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

kenturkey89

Quote from: Longbeardfever4ever on April 21, 2012, 08:35:07 PM
The man posting above me is right! My guess is that the callmaker didn't wipe the lip of the call and the soundboard pedestal with Acetone before glueing it together. I made a call out of bocote for myself a few years back and I have to reglue it every year. Next time I'll be wiping it down with acetone.

Like these two gentlemen have already noted, cocobolo is an oily wood that needs to be wiped down with acetone or things like you've mentioned can happen.  I would try sending it back to the call maker and restate your issue.  If he's being a pain to deal with just ask for some help and I know call makers on here will be willing to help!
Brian

870BkWht

If this callmaker that made the problematic pot is worth his salt, he would just build you a new pot call.  If he wont, I would consider looking elsewhere before anymore business is conducted. 

I know first hand how aggravating it can be.  I had a laminated pot built by Andy Kaiser that had crystal in it.  It cracked all the way across.  I sent it back, he fixed it, and then after I got it back, it had cracked again.  He just built me anothe pot call and as a result of his attention and remedy to my problem I had him build me a nice ceramic pot later this Spring.  Its people like him that will continue to get my business. 

Best of luck with your call, and as others have said, you will have no trouble finding people to help you out on this forum. 

handcannon

These fellas have nailed it. Coco can be a booger to keep glued. If your getting movement in your slate than it is coming unglued or it has a high spot on the lip. I have had that problem with a couple pots of mine in the past that I had to repair. Luckily I found them before I sent them out. If the guy is gonna get moody over it like the last time, you need to find another callmaker. It dont matter if you leave it in the truck or not, he should not get an attitude about it with you.

n2deer

Thanks everyone for helping me with the trouble shooting. I was just looking for a little backgroud and sounded like alot of good info.

Just knew I was being ran around.

I will contact them after the season.