OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Renington Versa+Max

Started by 29810434, April 22, 2012, 02:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone patterned a versa-max yet.I am having trouble getting mine to pattern with a kicks choke,Tried Winchesters,Federals,etc. all lead shot.

870BkWht

If you google the Versamax, you probably wont find much positive info.  Remington really didnt put much effort into this gun.

fallsflight

First, disregard what 870BkWht said.  He obviously has no knowledge of the VersaMax whatsoever.  Remington did in fact put a lot of effort into this gun and you have a great semi-auto.  That gun does all it was designed to do.  As you are aware, you can shoot magnum rounds through it and it feels like you are shooting a twenty gauge.  I only use mine for waterfowl, but it has been through some of the nastiest conditions from early fall right till the end of duck season in winter and functioned flawlessly.  It is a joy to shoot and it definitely a well made gun.

Now, as far as turkey chokes, I can not give you any advise on which to use, as this is strictly my waterfowl gun.  Each gun is different and they all like different chokes.  Have you tried the turkey choke that came with it?  I have heard others have been getting nice patterns with that.   Or maybe try some Hevi shot through your Kicks choke.   I would seriously try some Hevi-13 in 3-2-6 through that and the choke that came with the gun.  

Thanks,I just ordered a hevi shot choke and a couple of boxes of 3 1/2-2 1/4- 7  I have hevi mag blends,I figured I would try these and see what happens.

runngun

Good luck, you will find the right choke/load and get it shooting like a champ!!! Sometimes it is just like turkey hunting, patience, patience.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 29810434 on April 22, 2012, 02:56:27 PM
Anyone patterned a versa-max yet.I am having trouble getting mine to pattern with a kicks choke,Tried Winchesters,Federals,etc. all lead shot.

A lot of my readers have had great results with the Pure Gold "Tempest" choke in .660, regardless of the shotshells they are shooting.

That choke was designed specifically for the Federal shells with the Flitecontrol Wads but it does very well with Hevi-13 shells as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Thanks,I will order a pure gold today and give it a try.

forcercon1

I am getting in the 120's using Winchester HV 4's with the Remington turkey choke that came with the gun. I recently received a Sumtoy choke from William and I'm getting in the 240's in the 10" and a good 20" with Winchester Ext. range 6's at 40 yards. The pattern is even and dense. At 20 yards the center is a hole about the size of a $.50 piece and a light 10" pattern. Most of the pattern is all in the center.

I have not tried any other loads with this choke at this time. I figured after the season I would do some more testing.

As for the qaulity of the Versa Max, I can say I have had no problems. I must admit I've only had the gun a short time but it seems dependable at this point. This point of view comes from an owner not a web reader.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: 870BkWht on April 22, 2012, 03:11:39 PM
If you google the Versamax, you probably wont find much positive info.  Remington really didnt put much effort into this gun.

I don't know about the effort(Remington made it,so I doubt there was much effort)
but my brother bought one(I always knew he wasn't real bright,but he proofed it this time)

over 1200.00 for a Remington???? you got to be crazy
be a very cold day you know where before that happens,not no Remington
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tyelper

id rather have a sbe or browning maxus

fallsflight

One of the most annoying and irritating things (more for the OP than anyone) is when a member of a forum (especially hunting forums) asks a specific question and then waits for a specific answer, only to receive negative replies that have nothing to do with the OP's question AT ALL.  In this case three different people have degraded the OP's purchase of a firearm that is in fact a well made shotgun.  The people that have replied negatively obviously have NO knowledge and NO first hand experience with the Versa Max AT ALL.  They obviously have a problem with Remington as a whole.  The OP did not ask if people with NO experience whatsoever can give opinions on the purchase of his VM.  He asked about a choke tube and any experience with patterning the VM.

If people want to start a thread about Remington guns vs. any other gun then do so, but basically telling a new member that their gun sucks is uncalled for when you probably haven't even shot much less held one.   A new member joins OG looking for help and shouldn't have to waste time reading total non-sense posted by others. 

29810434, you own a well made, well functioning shotgun that will perform just fine against any other brand on the market.   Be proud to own it.  Find a choke and ammo that shoots well in that gun and hunt the **** out of it.

SumToy

Can't say about the gun in real world test.   I have tested the gun at the shop and it works fine and patterns good.    I have mailed some stuff to remington rep to try in one.  So the gun will work fine only thing I see was the probore chokes can and will back out some. Keep a eye on it if you just use your hand to put them in.    If tool is used you should not have a problem.    :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

tha bugman

I have one....great gun for wingshooting

Thanks everyone for the advice and support.I have purchased several chokes and hevi shot and winchester loads.I will let everyone know what I come up with,so maybe it will help someone else with this problem.

bunk

Quote from: fallsflight on April 28, 2012, 01:35:09 PM
One of the most annoying and irritating things (more for the OP than anyone) is when a member of a forum (especially hunting forums) asks a specific question and then waits for a specific answer, only to receive negative replies that have nothing to do with the OP's question AT ALL.  In this case three different people have degraded the OP's purchase of a firearm that is in fact a well made shotgun.  The people that have replied negatively obviously have NO knowledge and NO first hand experience with the Versa Max AT ALL.  They obviously have a problem with Remington as a whole.  The OP did not ask if people with NO experience whatsoever can give opinions on the purchase of his VM.  He asked about a choke tube and any experience with patterning the VM.

If people want to start a thread about Remington guns vs. any other gun then do so, but basically telling a new member that their gun sucks is uncalled for when you probably haven't even shot much less held one.   A new member joins OG looking for help and shouldn't have to waste time reading total non-sense posted by others. 

29810434, you own a well made, well functioning shotgun that will perform just fine against any other brand on the market.   Be proud to own it.  Find a choke and ammo that shoots well in that gun and hunt the **** out of it.
Well said. I think Rem. did put some effort in the VM to come up with a high end gun to compete with the 3 Bs. I don't own one but I have shot one and its a nice gun. I'm sure you will find that perfect choke-shell combo.