turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli Vinci/Jeb's .665"

Started by HuntSource, April 22, 2012, 09:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntSource

I recently posted some patterns with a Rhino .660" out of my Benelli Vincis. With #6s and #7s, that's my choke to maximize numbers in the 10" core. This spring, I wanted to find a choke that'd throw a wider pattern with more evenness outside the 10" core. I started with three different Jeb's chokes -- a .655", a .665" and a .670". In short, I found the .665" was slightly better than the .670" an the .655" was awful.

The .665" did exactly what I wanted with the Hevi-13 12-3-2-7. Additionally, I recently tried a couple of Hevi-13 12-3-1.75-5 (Old White) loads leftover from last year's experimentations with my Rhino choke. Both shells patterned over 130 in the 10" core. They were super tight and even, which is obviously necessary for #5s. I went back to the same store where I sourced those OW #5s last year and, luckily, they still had seven boxes.

Here are two patterns one with the OW #5s and one with current production #7s. I'm using Aimpoint T1 Micros on my Vincis and I've found both loads print like rifles with the Jeb's. I basically can just draw circles around the aiming circle.

First, here's the #5s at 40yd. There should be about 255 or so in the load according the charts. Only 14 pellets were outside the 20" circle. On a percentage basis, this is about 55% in the 10", 80% in the 15", and 95% in the 20%. I haven't patterned many of these as they are so scarce, however, I'm finding 50% in the 10" is the norm.

These #7s were the next load down the barrel. Yes, I can consistently get 20-25 more pellets in the 10" core with my Rhino .660" under identical conditions. While the Rhino is very good, the Jeb's is more consistent with POA/POI and throws wider, more even pattern outside the 10" core. To me, it's a great 40 yd hunting pattern that is much more forgiving at shorter ranges where most of my birds are killed. With 186 in the 10" core there's still some fudge factor if a bird is beyond 40yds too.

albrubacker

Wow both look good but the #7s are awesome!!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

beagler

Never Misses

captin_hook

flayer

looks to be a few less turkey in the woods with this set up. nice oatterns :OGturkeyhead:

HuntSource

Quote from: Spuriosity on April 23, 2012, 01:33:28 PM
My buddy tried a SBE last year with a Jeb's .655 and H13 3-2-6s. The patterns were less than stellar. Sounds like that .665 may be the ticket. Very nice patterns.

Spuriosity,

The .655" was not very good. The numbers with the OW #5s were down in the 80s and the #7s were in the 150s. The patterns were uneven as well. While the .670" performed nicely, the .665" was the sweet spot for sure. I didn't try the .660" and probably won't.

I've never seen a choke do what the .665" does with #5s in my Vincis. I'm sure others have obtained similar results, but it was a first for me. Obviously, the effective pattern isn't going to be very wide with any #5 load, but this combination is even and quite dense in the 10" at 40yd. The core is wicked and hangs together.

With #7s, this isn't the combination you want if you want to maximize numbers in the 10" core. I can get big numbers using #7s with a Rhino .660", but that's not what I'm after with that load. I want an even blanket to 16-18" at 40yd and this choke does it in my guns.

You mentioned the H13 12-3-2-6. I haven't' shot that load through this choke. I did shoot a couple of Hevi-13 OW 12-3-1.75-6 loads through it. I figured and was hoping I'd get similar performance given by the OW #5s, but that wasn't the case. The patterns were decent yielding in the 130s in the 10", but they weren't very even. The Rhino .660" handles that load to near perfection for me though, so I'm not worked-up over it.

Yeah, as I'm sure you have too, I've learned not to judge a choke manufacturer based on one exit diameter offering and/or one load. I read where Clark found that the Jeb's .650" was the perfect fit for the H13 12-3-2-6 for his gun. (I think it was a BPS.) Go figure. It's all about finding the perfect cocktail.

kenturkey89

Nice pattern!!!  I too have a Vinci and I shoot Hevi-13 3" 2 oz 6 out of a Tru-Glo SSX choke and get similar patterns to what you show.  It's one sweet gun   :icon_thumright:
Brian

yelpy

Great combo's. Patterns look great. Lots of margine for error.