OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where can I buy a good water bottle?

Started by Timmer, April 18, 2012, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

OK, this is kind of a stupid question, but here's the scoop.  I've generally just brought an everyday convenience store type water bottle into the woods with me.  The problem is that due to all the "green" intiatives, thay have started making them super thin, and as a result very crinkly and loud.   Also, they make quite a bit of sloshing noise.  Another thing is my vest has a water bottle pocket but it only covers maybe 1/2-2/3 of the bottle, so the bottle sticks out.  Obviously I can go out and buy a sport type bottle from just about anyhere.  However, I have seen water bottles included with camo packs at Cabelas that are a neutral brown and aren't shiny, but none available to purchase outright.  That would be perfect.  Does anyone have a website or recommendation?  Along those lines, I've never owned one of those aluminum camping type bottles, does the metal tone down the sloshing or is it worse?

Thanks!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Tail Feathers

I have a plastic bottle that I used to use.  Because of the crinkling plastic disposable bottles you described, and I found this year, I'll be going back to it.  
It does not leak and holds about 1 liter.  Sorry, it has no name brand on it for me to share.  I'd order another in a minute if I found one like it.  
My daughter's metal water bottles she uses in athletics don't seem to slosh loud.

EDIT: Mine may have been sold as a bicyclist bottle now that I think about it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

paboxcall

I buy the Fred brand bottled water from the local convenience stores.  Shaped like a flask, pretty rugged, and doesn't leak.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Turkey Trot

Look at the websites for REI, REI Outlet, Sierr@  Trading Post, Camp Mor, and backcountry and search their water bottles.  A number of makers produce anti-bacterial bottles in different materials and sizes.  For several years, I've used soft side Nalgene plastic sport bottles with pull up spout, one squeezes it to drink from it, similar to a gatorade sports bottle you'd see on the sidelines.  Mine is about 24 oz., it carries plenty, and its lightweight.  There are collapsible, bladder-style bottles as well, like Platypus and Camelback.

Nalgene

Mine is the ultralite type bottle, but I don't see the exact same set  up here.

http://store.nalgene.com/category-s/33.htm

Oh, here we go.

http://store.nalgene.com/category-s/30.htm
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

stinkpickle

Just recycle a vodka bottle.  The game wardens love it.  ;)

Timmer

Well, I hit all the major stores and ended up getting this:

http://www.rei.com/product/784869/rei-nalgene-everyday-wide-mouth-loop-top-water-bottle-16-fl-oz

Not in the orange color shown, but in the "Okra" dark green.  It still has a bit more shine than I would like, but I think it will do.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

archery1

Take a kid hunting

gotcha

The 1 liter Aquafina bottles are pretty sturdy and quite.

Turkey Beard

Bit late chiming in (especially since you've already bought yours), but here's something similar to what I use, same brand, but I bought mine about 22 years ago... still going strong....:

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/water-bottles/platy-bottle/product
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

mossy835

I bought a green (color only) Cabela's stainless steel water bottle that fits the pocket of my vest. No noise no bad taste and sturdy, it will out last me. The webbing on my vest covers the bottle and the lid is black.

woodwzrd

I used to carry a nalgene bottle like the one you bought. After a while the shine will go away. If you want to speed it up maybe take a piece of 0000 steel wool to it and lightly buff it. A couple of years go I switched over to a small hydration pack. I can wear it under my vest and if I remember right it holds a liter or a liter and a half. I usually keep a one liter water bottle in my car to refill the hydraton pack if I am out runnin and gunnin all day.

swamp_bird89

I've got a nalgene bottle  with me all the time hunting or just about anywhere, keep a gallon jug of water in the truck also.

Dan Mallia

I use a Kleen Kanteen. Nice stainless steel bottle.

bird

I just bought 2 Liberty 32oz Tactical bottles from Sierr@  Trading Post.
These bottles are 2nds which is why they are only $10.95 each when they are normally $18+. 
But best of all, they are made in the USA from recycled materials and are BPA free with a food grade coating which eliminates metal leaching.  And being that they are the tactical models they do not have a shiny appearance.

http://m.sierratradingpost.com/mobile/liberty-bottle-works-water-bottle-32-oz-bpa-free-tactical-collection~p~4559c/