turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Matt McLain- Slate/glass vera wood & Warbird -Copper/glass wormy chestnut

Started by decoykrvr, February 26, 2011, 12:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I got a wormy chestnut pot call, copper/glass from Jim Ward of Warbird Turkey Calls earlier this week and a vera wood, slate/glass from Matt McLain in Nashville last week and carried them this morning while scouting.  I don't like to call birds before the season and educate them too much, but I also know that a call can't be evaluated in the house, but must be played and heard outdoors.  I climbed a high listening ridge before daylight, it was cool @ 30 degrees and clear w/ no wind.  About 7 am, I let out a few soft clucks on Matt's slate and immediately was answered by a couple of jakes and a few hens.  They liked it!!  I let the flock talk among themselves as I moved down the ridge nearer to them and watched the birds pitch off the roost.  The birds moved through the woods towards a large pasture opposite my position and I couldn't resist giving them some soft flock talk and a few yelps w/ Jim's copper call.  The woods rang with gobbles from three adult birds and a pitiful gobble attempted by one of the jakes.  I had seen and heard everything I needed to at that spot and slipped out of the woods unseen.  I'll kill some birds w/ these calls this year.  A sincere thank-you and endorsement for two premier craftsmen, call makers, and gentlemen.
Craig

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dreis3

Calling before the season is a tough urge to resist especially with new calls in tow. Glad to hear of your success with the new calls. Do you have any pics you could share?
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

VanHelden Game Calls

:policeman:

We have a picture  :fud:

We need to make a sticky.  No mention of a call without pics.  Its cruel :whip2:

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!