OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke for my 870

Started by MiamiE, April 14, 2012, 08:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiE

I'm currently using a Tru Glo gobble stopper but I'm not entirely thrilled with my pattern. I'd like to try a new choke around $50 (used or new). I don't shoot Hevi Shot mainly due to the price so I'd like to stay with lead. Any reccomendations taking all this into account? I shoot a 870 21" barrel and it's the 3" model not the super magnum. I'll do a search for patterns to determine which load will be the best to start out with my patterning once I decide on a choke. Thanks!

chipper

Truglo SSX, Remington Ventilator, or Jellyhead .660

paturkeyhntr

My buddy uses a Jelly Head.  Not sure of the constriction.

lowoctane

Ive had good luck with the Ventilator and Win Supremes 3" x 6's.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

mightyjoeyoung

If all you're gonna shoot is lead, I would grab up a Ventilator!  AWESOME chokes for lead. I haven't met a remmy that didn't like a Ventilator and a healthy dose of Winchester or Federal lead (pre FC).
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

allaboutshooting

I'd recommend the SSX with 3" Winchester shells with #6 shot. I've always recommended the HV (Black Shells) and still think its a good shell but I'm seeing just about equal results now with their lesser priced shells with either 2 oz. of 1 7/8 oz. of #6 shot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hunter-b

MiamiE

I will try that Remington Ventilator before buying another choke. Anything other than the Winchester Supreme I should try?

hunter-b

Try super X  3-1 7/8 - 6  1210 fps silver box

gtrjames

hard to beat the jelly head .

ILIKEHEVI-13

Another vote for the Rem Ventilator choke for like $20 shipped to your door from CDNN.

You won't beat it for the money. 

Lunchbox

Quote from: gtrjames on April 16, 2012, 10:01:58 PM

This. I use a .665, but i have heard tons of people had success with the .660. Jellyheads just seem to work great with about 99% of the 870s out there.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Lunchbox on April 16, 2012, 10:55:18 PM

This. I use a .665, but i have heard tons of people had success with the .660. Jellyheads just seem to work great with about 99% of the 870s out there.
I agree .660 JELLYHEAD!!!!!

lowoctane

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 17, 2012, 12:10:00 PM
Quote from: Lunchbox on April 16, 2012, 10:55:18 PM

I agree .660 JELLYHEAD!!!!!
What load do you use with your 660 JH sir? :thanks:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

TauntoHawk

I have the same gun and the jellyhead and sumtoy both shoot pretty well with lead #6's
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>