Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

THE most affordable pistol gripped turkey gun?

Started by drakekilla12, April 11, 2012, 07:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drakekilla12

Looking to get a cheap pump with a pistol grip for strictly turkeys! Need a shorter barrel bc my 28" waterfowl gun is tough to maneuver.. So any suggestions would be great. I've found the stoeger 3000 in pistol grip for 440 ish. Can I do better?

Thanks

msgobblergetter

Your best bet would be the 3000 pump or the model 2000 in 3" semi auto.

Hookhunter

First let me say I am not a mossberg fan, no particular reason just a personal choic. With that said I have held the new turkey thug and turkey thug tactical both very nice guns the turkey thug 835 comes with a red dot as well as sights I believe. I don't like the red dot because you can't get your head down on the gun but when it's taken off the gun has a natural shouldering. Just a really nice gun for around $500. No experience shooting it though, I use 12ga 3 1/2 870 and youth nova 20ga. Heard a lot about the stogers having problems just check it out if you go that route could be isolated incidents.

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

MossbergMike

Quote from: Hookhunter on April 11, 2012, 08:36:03 PM
First let me say I am not a mossberg fan, no particular reason just a personal choic. With that said I have held the new turkey thug and turkey thug tactical both very nice guns the turkey thug 835 comes with a red dot as well as sights I believe. I don't like the red dot because you can't get your head down on the gun but when it's taken off the gun has a natural shouldering. Just a really nice gun for around $500. No experience shooting it though, I use 12ga 3 1/2 870 and youth nova 20ga. Heard a lot about the stogers having problems just check it out if you go that route could be isolated incidents.

Justin

I am a Mossberg fan and I love my 835. If I had to do it all over again I would get the 835 thug. I have had mine for 2 years now and I have upgraded some stuff on it. I can't complain at all no problems and it is tough as nails. But like hook said do your research before you make a decision whatever you choose. If I were you I would look hard between Remington Mossberg and Bennelli. With those three manufacturers you can't go wrong MHO.

nogoodreezen

Love my 835 thug gun. Bought it a couple months ago and it is a shooter for sure. With a 20 " barrel it is definitely maneuverable. I paired mine with a pure gold. 670 and hevi13 shot 7's. Getting some great numbers. Do your research and get the gun you want. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

lr308

Savage has a pump out that is a clone of the Win. 1300 and one under the Stevens name that is a clone of the Ithaca 37 I believe they have 18 inch bbls with a pistol grip but I am not sure if they are threaded for choke tubes. Cabelas has the Savage on sale for 199.00

mikejd

Lr308 do you know wich Stevens is a clone of the 37 because the 37 is a bottom eject and I can't find a Stevens with that feature. And the savage do you have a mdl number I can't find it on there site.

lr308

The Stevens is the  model 350 and the Savage is the 320 the Stevens is bottom eject and appears to be like the 37 except it weighs 7.5 lbs. Just Google it and there's alot of info and Davidson's has a video on you tube.The Savage is available with the pistol grip not sure about the Stevens.

870FaceLift

My brother bought the pistol-gripped turkey version of the Stoeger p-350 pump a few months back.  He hunts pretty hard and seems to like it.  I don't know what kind of choke setup he's using, but I know he's happy with it.  He spent about $430.
Pass it on...

snapper1982

remington 870 with thumbhole or sure shot.  the mossberg 835 is an awesome gun but with the top safty there is alot more hand movement to take to safty off.

chipper

What gun are you shooting now? You might be able to just buy a Choate stock or Knoxx for the gun you have and save some money.

MiamiE

Quote from: chipper on April 12, 2012, 06:55:59 PM
What gun are you shooting now? You might be able to just buy a Choate stock or Knoxx for the gun you have and save some money.

My thoughts exactly!

drakekilla12

I shoot a benelli sbe II for ducks and i use a primos jelly head and hevi mag blends for thunder chickens. 26" barrel... For maneuverability it's just a tad too long

whiskey

I got a Mossberg 535 tactical turkey model for about 400.00 last year. Short barrel, adjustable stock, adjustable fiber optic sights, pistol grip, full camo and factory X-tra full choke, sling. 3.5" chamber.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/26892/Mossberg+53263+500TK+12+TACT+FOS+PTT+RLT

Kicks like a mule with 3.5 Hevi #7's, but Limbsaver makes a replacement pad that makes it tolerable. I am very happy with mine.

grousec

Tri-Star makes a viper G3 semi auto with a pistol grip for under $500.  If you are interested in a semi auto.