OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Intrested in learning how to make box calls.

Started by Swamp, February 26, 2012, 10:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

just wondering if any one might have some tips they could share. Really like the Neil Cost Design and half moon calls.

Cut*N*Run

I've only made a handful of boxes- all the hewn out type, but I would say just dig in there and make some. I think you will learn more about how boxes work if you make a hewn call. You learn a lot from little changes in soundboard diameter and radius etc.

For starting out, get some less expensive blanks (poplar etc) and expect to make some firewood. Also, as you're learning, buy a pre-formed paddle, or take one off another call. That way you're only dealing with one variable (the soundboards) and not two (the boards and paddle). After you get a reasonable sound you can make your own paddle. Otherwise if you make them both at the same time, it will be much harder for you to figure out which is affecting the sound you're getting.

Like I said, I only make 1 or so a year (just finishing this years'). They are fun because the sound is 100% from your craftsmanship, but man can they be humbling. I'm constantly amazed at some of the ones that are posted on here that look and sound amazing. Hopefully you get some tips from some of the more experienced makers as well. Good luck!

Swamp

Thank you. While i was at the nashville i looked at some amazing box calls and would love to make some of my own im starting to turn pot calls also. I just love the idea of making something on your own that will bring a longbeard into gun range. Thanks for the help.

Cut*N*Run

You could try a scratch box too. Just as challenging as a box in terms of getting the right sound, but they can generally be put together a little faster and you waste less wood as you go through the process of finding the right dimensions.

misfire

Check with the GA State NWTF chapter. They have a video that was made by Neil Cost. Very informative
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Johnny Dingo in SC

I'm interested in learning how to make calls too. I've searched for books on several websites that are how-to's but haven't had much luck. There are several websites that have instructions. You may want to check them out.  Here are a couple:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6284605_instructions-making-turkey-box-calls.html

http://www.foremosthunting.com/Turkey/Gear/TurkeyCalls/HomemadeTurkeyCalls/tabid/327/Default.aspx

Good luck!

Gbblr-killer

Find a copy of Neil Costs book or go to

http://www.brantonberryhill.com/products.html

and find the docs needed to make a caller, this helped me out alot. they arent cheap but chock full of info on how to building long boxes and short boxes

bnew17

get a copy of Neils video. I bought one and it is  informative.