Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Browning Maxus, Winchester Supreme High Velocity 3.5" #6's, Hevi-Shot TKY .664

Started by WNM, April 10, 2012, 06:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNM

Give me some feedback here. I killed 3 birds this year with Hevi-13 #6's without patterning (I know, I know...) and the Hevi-Shot choke out of my Maxus. I called a bird in a couple days ago for my buddy using my gun, and he missed with 3 shots on a bird too far off, so I'm out of Hevi-Shot with no where to get it locally. I picked up a box of Supremes yesterday and put 'em on paper today.

Shots were at 40 yards, 80 degrees, windy as hell, but I tried to get out of it in the woods. I made the 10 and 20 inch circles from the middle of the target where I was aiming, not necessarily the most concentrated part of my pattern. Someone school me on the POI and POA stuff.

Shot #1: 113 in a 10" circle, 270 total in the 20" circle.

Shot #2: 135 in a 10" circle, 313 total in the 20" circle.

captin_hook

Nothing wrong with that pattern with lead. That will kill em for sure!

Bossmoss

Grunt-N-Gobble

WNM........

First, draw your 10in circle around the most dense part of the pattern for both targets with your 20 centered around that.  Hopefully, you also have the spot you actually aimed at marked as well.

Now, compare the distance from the center of the 10in to the spot you aimed at.  If they are not @ the same spot, or even very close, then your POA isn't the same as your POI.

If you have adjustabe sights, then move them accordingly to make them the same.  If your aiming with the bead only, then you'll have to adjust your aim as necessary.  You can always mount a scope or red dot or somethin like a Fast Fire to get them the same as well.

Thats it in a nut shell 

WNM

Quote from: Grunt-N-Gobble on April 10, 2012, 08:24:46 PM
WNM........

First, draw your 10in circle around the most dense part of the pattern for both targets with your 20 centered around that.  Hopefully, you also have the spot you actually aimed at marked as well.

Now, compare the distance from the center of the 10in to the spot you aimed at.  If they are not @ the same spot, or even very close, then your POA isn't the same as your POI.

If you have adjustabe sights, then move them accordingly to make them the same.  If your aiming with the bead only, then you'll have to adjust your aim as necessary.  You can always mount a scope or red dot or somethin like a Fast Fire to get them the same as well.

Thats it in a nut shell 

Gotcha, that makes sense. I had a quarter-sized hole poked in the middle of each piece of cardboard that I was aiming at, so the POA is marked. I was just using the factory bead. I'll draw some new circles on the back and see how the POI compares. They only look like they are an inch or two off for each shot at 40 yards, and considering how the wind was blowing, the distance, and the fact that I was just using the bead, I'm pretty happy with that.

I'll have to drop $40 or $50 before next season and see how Hevi-13's and the Hevi-Shot blends compare. I'll probably just stick with this setup for the next 3 weeks.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Your patterns don't look bad at all.  Would probable be better had you been able to get out of the wind.  But your like me I'd guess.....you go shooting when you can.

With that said, just keep your shots to reasonable ranges and you'll kill birds all day long with that combo.

hunter-b