turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

diaphram call question

Started by Fox Fire, February 25, 2011, 08:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

I'm a fan of my mouth calls but some are made to be be better at certain sounds, some for kee kees some for cackles, that kinda stuff.

what type of cut would come closest to be'n the all around call ?

Longbeardfever4ever

Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

drum817

3 reed split V for all around calling (purr,cut,cackle,yelp & cluck) and turn the call upside down in your mouth to kee kee.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Fox Fire

My fave hands down is the Wood Haven classic V3 or the Red Wasp, I can do most anything I need to but was think'n about try'n a different cut, Wood haven dont describe what paticular sounds a certain call is best suited for and they make so many, I aint about to buy every one to find out, not at $12 a piece.

shootumindaface

Wow a great question.. I think too many guys carry too many calls for different stuff instead of becoming intimate with one call and learning to do everything on it from clear to raspy, soft to loud..

The answer to your question is up for you to determine.. Numerous factors latex thickness, side tension, back tension, reed spacing and cut are all factors in determining the ability of a call to perform different calls..

One of the biggest factors is YOU and how personally blow a call that will determine what call is for you..

Fox Fire

Good point Shoot'em, if ya ask me the manufactures have us belive'n we NEED a certain call to make a specific sound, and they make so many in order to keep us in what we NEED.( just part of the money racket)

I know some calls make certain sounds better than others but a man should learn to make the sounds with most any call, this be'n said ther are brands of calls that definately sound more life like then others, to me anyway.

Usually when I get one I dont especialy care for I try to modify it by make'n a cut or two or remove'n a entire reed, sometimes it turns out but most are trashed, I've always experimented with calls ( placement, presure, turn'n them over) to see what I can get from them.

I just thought ther mite be a few on here that has found a call thats better at be'n a all around call.

archery1

WHO HAS THE BEST MOUTH CALLING DVD OUT THERE. I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE MY MOUTH CALLS BETTER ? THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP ON THIS.
Take a kid hunting

Fox Fire

Try Matering The Arts :turkey call'n DVD by primos, it has some good how to info and they walk ya thru the process for make'n most of teh turkey's vocalization.

jyoung

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 26, 2011, 09:52:38 AM
Wow a great question.. I think too many guys carry too many calls for different stuff instead of becoming intimate with one call and learning to do everything on it from clear to raspy, soft to loud..

The answer to your question is up for you to determine.. Numerous factors latex thickness, side tension, back tension, reed spacing and cut are all factors in determining the ability of a call to perform different calls..

One of the biggest factors is YOU and how personally blow a call that will determine what call is for you..

:agreed: This is very open-ended...It is ultimately a trial and error thing.  The call I use while hunting may not be the call someone else uses.  The bat wing cut and the combo cut are two very good "all around" cuts for producing all turkey talk, but that is just one person's opinion.  You have to try different cuts to see what you can run the best and get the most vocalization out of. 
Jonathan Young