OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1/2 hr before sunrise...?

Started by DirtNap647, April 09, 2012, 07:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

i have a question when a game book says 1/2hr before sunrise when does this mean you can start hunting...dont take this the wrong way i got no desire to shoot one off the roost but every year i hear shots when i can hardly see and wondered how they get away with it so can someone tell me what they mean...

bbcoach

It means you can shoot 30 minutes before sunrise.  You have to check to see what your local sunrise times are for that particular date and then subtract 30 minutes.  This changes one to two minutes everyday so you have to stay on top of it.  You can be in the woods prior to the 30 minute before sunrise time, you just can't legally shoot before that time.  By the way, in some states it is illegal to shoot birds off the roost, if this is what is happening.  I Don't believe in it even if it is legal.  Let the bird flydown and use your calling knowledge, setup skills and woodsmanship to get the job done during LEGAL shooting hours.

pullit

Quote from: bbcoach on April 09, 2012, 08:20:08 AM
It means you can shoot 30 minutes before sunrise.  You have to check to see what your local sunrise times are for that particular date and then subtract 30 minutes.  This changes one to two minutes everyday so you have to stay on top of it.  You can be in the woods prior to the 30 minute before sunrise time, you just can't legally shoot before that time.  By the way, in some states it is illegal to shoot birds off the roost, if this is what is happening.  I Don't believe in it even it is legal.  Let the bird flydown and use your calling knowledge, setup skills and woodsmanship to get the job done during LEGAL shooting hours.

+1

FireFly908

It means you can shoot 30 minutes before sunrise.  You have to check to see what your local sunrise times are for that particular date and then subtract 30 minutes.  This changes one to two minutes everyday so you have to stay on top of it.  You can be in the woods prior to the 30 minute before sunrise time, you just can't legally shoot before that time.  By the way, in some states it is illegal to shoot birds off the roost, if this is what is happening.  I Don't believe in it even it is legal.  Let the bird flydown and use your calling knowledge, setup skills and woodsmanship to get the job done during LEGAL shooting hours.

Nothing more can be said other than a GPS system can tell you what the sunrise time is for where you are at and make sure the turkey is close enough to get an ethical shot if it is within LEGAL shooting hours.
Good job with your explanation, bbcoach.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Quote from: pullit on April 09, 2012, 08:21:25 AM

+1

+1

mnturkey

Quote from: FireFly908 on April 09, 2012, 09:52:17 AM

Nothing more can be said other than a GPS system can tell you what the sunrise time is for where you are at and make sure the turkey is close enough to get an ethical shot if it is within LEGAL shooting hours.
Good job with your explanation, bbcoach.
GPS might be off a few minutes use your state game book times that way you cannot get into trouble.
SEMPER FI

TRKYHTR

I've always wondered what "sunrise" means. Does it mean when you can see the tip of the sun? or when the "total sun clears the earth"?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

OLE RASPY

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 09, 2012, 04:31:16 PM
I've always wondered what "sunrise" means. Does it mean when you can see the tip of the sun? or when the "total sun clears the earth"?

TRKYHTR
or how would you know on a cloudy day. :funnyturkey: :laugh:

TauntoHawk

most weather apps will have the exact "sunrise" time for each day for your location. so that minus 30min and you're legal

Usually its still too dark for me when it becomes "legal" so I dont worry about the timing too much. I have heard some early shots in my time though  :character0029:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OntarioGobbler

except in rare circumsances birds are still on the roost at 1/2 hr before sunrise so I never worry about the exact time.

its a complicated math formula based on the leading edge of the sun (more the tip trkyhntr) to your location on earth. Far too long ago to remember the forumla from astronomy class in university but is an exact time based on where you are on earth and has to do with angles and roatation of earth or something like that.

your gps would calculate this formula  based on your exact location on earth so it's far better to use than a general state time. The exact time could vary by quite a few minutes from one part of a state to another.