OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Septic system advice....

Started by Reloader, April 08, 2012, 06:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

Any plumbers on OG?

I need some advice on a stopped up septic system. We bought a house that is only 6 years old back in November and just now the septic system is backed up. It has an old school system, tank with field lines, no sprinkler system or powered unit. Im good on the house side from the looks at the wash out. Seems good at the tank, but its full(mostly water). I dug down to a field line a ways from the tank and when I dug down beside the gravel bed the hole filled with water. It seems things are working, but its obviously backed up. The ground is saturated out due to a high amount of rainfall this spring.  We've used more water than usual today as well between washing clothes all day, dishes, toilets, couple showers, and gave the dogs a bath.

Do you feel just having the tank pumped will fix the problem or just put it off for a little while?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Loder

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

Shellwaster

Sounds to me you need to do a pump out of the tank as well as add additional field lines. Due to the saturation it sounds like your existing lines may not be in the best soils therefore by adding line you increase the area that can be drained to, thus eliminating some, if not all, saturation.

stone road turkey calls

I agree with shellwaster about the field lines, you may need to add to it. unless the tank is full of solids it does not need pumped, it will fill back up in a few days it's suposed to be full. to much rain and a long period of overcast skys will cause the problem you have. yes the ground absorbs the water but the sun is what pulls the moisture into the atmosthere. even long uncut grass will shade the ground and slow the process, a washing machine is a septic systems worst enemy wash less and use the low water setting. take short showers and pee in the yard for a while. dont spend any money untill you have this problem repeataly. my system has done the same thing twice in 25 years each time after heavy rain, it repairs it self.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

slamman

You purchased this house back in November?  Code in most states require the previous owner pump the septic system prior to the close of the house.

kamski1151

I had a problem like that about 5 years ago. It was my drain field. the pipe leading from the tank to the drain field collapsed. do to a improper back fill.

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

Reloader

Thanks guys. Since it seems to be a problem with the saturated soil, I think I'll wait it out a day or two and see if it gets better. We'll try to cut back on water usage as well. If it happens again, I'll extend the field lines.

It'd be nice if it was like some of the really old systems with a relief line spilling in the woods out back for excess waste water.

Reloader

Slamman,

They are required to do a sewer inspection, but I don't believe pumping the tank is required in this area. 

runngun

Call a septic company and see what they will charge to pump it. It may be 10 years before you have another issue.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: Reloader on April 08, 2012, 10:04:17 PM
Thanks guys. Since it seems to be a problem with the saturated soil, I think I'll wait it out a day or two and see if it gets better. We'll try to cut back on water usage as well. If it happens again, I'll extend the field lines.

It'd be nice if it was like some of the really old systems with a relief line spilling in the woods out back for excess waste water.

If you can find the end of the drain field and dig down to the gravel       ( use post hole diggers ) that will give you a relief point. put a peice of 4 inch pipe in down to the rock and flush with the ground. cap with a screw in clean out plug for future use.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Reloader

Thanks guys!

This morning it was back to normal, so hopefully everything is ok.  Told the wife to try not and wash so many loads in one day.

Ded Goblr

You probably have high clay content soil and or or shallow ground water table. If just a few extra loads of laundry are maxing out the systems absorbsion ability. While the system is currently functioning I would definitely look into having at least two additional lateral lines added installed, it's better to be proactive with drain fields. The additional lateral lines are inexpensive when compared to having to replace the system with an engineered system. Hope you all the best. Just my 2 cents from past experiences.