OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

shoot'n birds on the roost

Started by turkeywhisperer935, April 07, 2012, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeywhisperer935

I hope there is some of you that agree with me, I hate it when you're go'n to a bird on the roost and some idiot blows him off. To me that is unsportsman like, if thats the way you hunt turkey's then it's no different than squirrel hunting. Sit down and try to call the bird up, thats what makes this sport so great. Im just say'n.

turkey_slayer

I agree. Could have shot several off the roost over the years but never have. Have had a few shot out from under me off the roost and it does make the blood boil. One was close enough I could see the turkey hit the limbs on the way down.

chatterbox

Disgusting practice. No skill involved at all. Murder, plain and simple.

Improvinghunter101

Happened a few years ago.  Only I wasn't very close.  I heard the first gobble of the morning and then a shot.  Then another one gobbled down the way and a boat started up and then shut off.  Then a couple minutes later BOOM, another shot.  Happened for about a half hour and was well before fly down.  Wardens around here couldn't get there quick enough and the culprits weren't able to be caught.  It's immoral to do it and i absolutely despise it. 

ssettle

Shooting a bird on the roost I believe is just wrong. Now to get in tight and wait till he hits the ground if that's the way you like to hunt would be OK. Myself I would rather get within 100 yards or so and call him in. :gobble:

Trapper

mikejd

should be illeagal everywhere. i watched the biggest bird I have ever seen about 20' from me in his rooste for about an hr.this was about 15yrs ago. I think his beard touched me we were so close. I could have gotten him with a slingshot. Then I watched him fly down the other way and walk off. i still see that bird in my sleep but never would I shoot him in the rooste. I believe anyone that calls themself a sportsman would feel this way.

redleg06

Pulling the trigger on a bird is the easy part. I think most of us on this site (and most turkey hunters in general) do it for the hunt itself and not just the kill.

Turkey meat isnt that expensive to go buy at the store if you want it that bad and I can shoot tin cans in my back yard if I just want to hear my shotgun go off. Never understood the appeal of sneaking in and shooting birds off the roost. It's right in line with shooting geese in fields with high powered rifles. I just dont see the appeal in that.

935deadbird

It's totally uncalled for. If the bird hits the ground and gets away, so be it. I'm a strong believer in giving a bird a fair chance at survival. Shooting one out of a tree is some one not having confidence that they can kill it once its on the ground.     :turkey2:
"Another One Bites The Dust"

gtrjames

There is a certain evil gobbler I know of that I almost considered it.....just kiddin' ;D