turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wild Leeks aka Ramps

Started by rtsj, April 07, 2012, 09:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsj

Anyone pick these?  Have a friend that told me they are incredible tasting in just about every dish he has tried. From potato and leek soup to perogies and leeks to ham bean and leek soup and Morels stuffed with sauteed leeks(Mmmmm!!) Well anyway we went to look for both morels and leeks. Really early here in Pa. for morels but we did manage to find about 30. Then we went to a spot where he found a small patch of leeks and they were there. We filled a 40 lb feed sack full and then went looking for some morels. What we stumbled onto was amazing. In this one hollow there were leeks as far as you could see. Ill bet over 250 yds. long and 150 yards wide. Literally every couple inches leek upon leek. Guess we never have to look again.  Gonna eat them bunch of different ways for our Easter dinner. For you guys that do pick them, Is this a normal thing or is this a great find? Thanks in advance guys.
Oh yeah if you got any good ones. PM me some leek and morel recipes.

Roy

BowBendr

250 x 150 yds. is a big patch of ramps. We usually don't get them that large here in western NC.
Ramps are so popular around here they have annual "ramp festivals" every spring in the NC mountains. Folks put them on everything, especially fried potatoes, pinto beans and scrambled eggs.

Don't have to eat too many to let everyone know you been eating them either.....most are so strong you can smell them when you sweat a week after eating them it seems......

It's also time to be collecting branch lettuce, now that's some good eating.  :icon_thumright:

M,Yingling

Good eats use them on lots things ,,, i realy like making a wing dip from them  ,,,Thats a nice size patch we got alot round my part
pa Can drive down the back roads and smell them
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey