OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How close is to close to a roosted bird?

Started by Kywoodsman, April 06, 2012, 11:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kywoodsman

I was doing some thinking about one of the properties I hunt the other day and it brought up a question. I know of a field where the turkeys fly down to and feed in the morning on a daily bases and I pretty well know where they roost. The only problem is to get to the field in which they fly down to to set up on them, the way the property is set up, it's probably going to mean having to walk fairly close to where they are roosted. By fairly close I mean probably in the neighborhood of about 100 yards away from them. My question is do you think I have a legitimate chances of getting in undetected? Keep in mind about the only thing between me and the turkeys will be a open field. If I belly crawled in about an hour before first light do you think that would work? The only other option would be to walk a lot longer way in that would require about a half a mile walk in in total darkness that is still not very far away from where they are rooted but not as close as the other way and it worries me that I'll make to much commotion walking in that distance. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

FttFttVroom!

If you are going in an hour before first light, belly crawling wouldn't be necessary.  You ought to be fine at 100 yds away......we've done it out in the wide open west in OK several times.

drenalinld

mikejd

100 yrds is plenty safe. I have had to walk within 20 yrds just remember to be very early and try not to stop near them a full stop sometimes will get them nervous.

mountman62

slow & easy without a light should be fine for 100 yds, just remember to walk slow and give yourself plenty of time for everything to settle back down
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

TRKYHTR

Last weekend we were in about 1 hour before it got light. We were set up 30 yards from a Jake roosted and my son had put the decoy out and it was 10 yards from the tree. I have actually walked right under the tree before. If you are early enough your fine. There are deer and other critters that walk around at night. They don't bother the turkeys. If for some reason they start to put you just bend over, like a cow and moo a few times. Don't laugh I have used this several times and it worked every time.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

tomtaker123

if the grounds quiet, not loud and crunchy. and i put them to bed the night before ill get to about fifty, no closer... after that the slate usually does the job
"speak the language"

gtrjames

I've found that if you get too close in normal woods, you run the risk of him spotting you in the 20 mins or so before he flys down... especially if you can't resist the temptation to call. Personally I like to be around 100 yds.

Hookhunter

slow & easy without a light should be fine for 100 yds, just remember to walk slow and give yourself plenty of time for everything to settle down

Agreed. I would already have a tree picked out and cleaned around so once you set up there is no major commotion.

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

Woodsman4God

I have heard one or two guys on hear say they have actually setup ( not intentionally) under the exact tree they were roosted in. The morning gobble or flydown scared the daylights out of them

Gobblerstopper

You probably have some pretty good foliage in Kentucky, so you should be fine at 100 yards. Like everyone said, slow and easy without a light. I was going to a bird in Florida last week right at daybreak and other gobbled. I looked up and he was 60 yards away up in a the tree. Facing the other way, but should have seen us from a long way off.

I personally like to always set up around 100 yards. Every step you can get towards him is one less he'll have to take to get to you.

Wingbone

No such thing as too close, but I try to get 50-100my yards from a roosted bird if possible. I've gone in quiet and sat down right against the tree the bird was in accidrntly. Just didn't call till he pitched and I still killed him. I know of several people that have done the same thing. You just have to be early, quiet, and no light.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

TauntoHawk

I've never moo'd before haha but I regularly implore the tactic of getting really close in the "comfort zone". whats another 30min lost of sleep I wasn't sleeping anyways. Get in really early and slip in quiet while the birds are still sleeping (heads tucked down) I will get in 30min before first gobble if I have to but nothing like being right in the bed room waiting for them to hit the ground in range. if its a known roost sight I will slip in during the afternoon and clear and rake a path in right to a tree I want to sit at and maybe pull a few branches infront for a make shift blind.

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 07, 2012, 12:05:00 AM
Last weekend we were in about 1 hour before it got light. We were set up 30 yards from a Jake roosted and my son had put the decoy out and it was 10 yards from the tree. I have actually walked right under the tree before. If you are early enough your fine. There are deer and other critters that walk around at night. They don't bother the turkeys. If for some reason they start to put you just bend over, like a cow and moo a few times. Don't laugh I have used this several times and it worked every time.

TRKYHTR
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jde

As close as dare to get, it would not bother me too have them light down  in the 40 yd range . :z-guntootsmiley: