OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

He shoots and............

Started by Tom Foolery, April 06, 2012, 11:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

He misses!  Strange workings this morning, we walked up on a bird and he didn't spook but just strolled away.  Walked out a ridge and he fired up gobbling pretty good, then he just quits.  I figure he got with a hen and just shut up.  After an hour of nothing the guy I was hunting with and I just sort of stretched out and waited to hear something.  About 30mins later, he says, "strutter".  I thought he was joking, I look up and 40yds out is a hen leading a strutter up and over the ridge.  I get twisted around but I can't get my gun into my shoulder, I did get it on my bicep though.  I wound up shooting right and about 90% of my shot was eaten up by 2 big oaks.  If you have never shot a 3.5" turkey load while your gun is rested on your bicep take my advice and don't do it.  I'm already bruising. LOL

Michigander

Ha ha ha, that sucks man. Been there, done that, don't recommend it.

FttFttVroom!

Ouch man.....for your arm and the ego :D

Keep after em and better luck next time :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

Theres nuttin like shootin the ol Mossy with a 3-½" shell when it ain't shouldered right...  :'(
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

mossy835

Pain and no gain! That hurts both ways, happens to the best of us!

yelpy

I never pulled the trigger without the gun shouldered but I have gotton a few bloody noses. That had to smarts a bit! The bloopers of turkey hunting.

Hookhunter

:funnyturkey:    What the turkey was thinking. Lol. You will get him next time

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

trackerbucky

My 23 year old son shot his browning BPS from the wrong shoulder last year at a gobbler that came in from the wrong place (how often does that happen?).  He had a serious bruise on his left shoulder from not holding the stock in tight enough when he squeezed it off. He did get the bird though.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

surehuntsalot

those 3.5" will get your attention if you don't your gun on your shoulder right
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

oldcreekhunter

im 2 for 2 on killing birds this year and both with a bloody nose. ive bloodied it before but never twice in the same season. those 3.5 inchers will kick you butt everytime lol. not being rude but i will say PLEASE NEVER MAKE A QUESTIONABLE SHOT on a turkey with a gun that isnt properly shouldered. id rather wound a nose than a bird and would rather carry a turkey home with my wounded nose than end up leaving him for the coyotes.

Tom Foolery

It all happened so fast i did not realize the gun wasn't seated up correctly until I touched it off.  It was bird pops up on ridge, grab gun, spin/shoulder/shoot.

Tom Foolery

Called in a nice big yote today but he came in right behind me at about 5yds.  I spun and got on him as he loped straight away.  When I fired I only gave him a little sprinkling of pellets. 

I got home and cleaned my gun and was just looking thing over when I noticed something.  I had placed score marks on my rear sight and base for the Williams Sluggers.  My rear sight had slid 3/8" UP the ramp so I was probably feet high and would thus explain the missed shots. 

I was starting to loose faith in both me and my 835, be sure to double check your gear guys!!

Punisher

Don't feel bad.  I have missed with two different guns this year!!  That being said, I let one strut into 15 yds and took out a little frustration when I hit him with a 3 oz. #4 Nitro load out of my BPS 10.  It was NASTY!!! ;D