turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

wood supplier?

Started by Swamp, April 05, 2012, 08:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

I'm looking for a wood supplier. started out making calls out of walnut and cherry would like to expand to more woods. What size do you usually buy? all will be used for pot calls and strikers.

swampgobbler

if you are like me and the closest wood store is 100 miles away, use the internet.  you can find some good deals on ebay.  i also use bellforest because you can hand pick the boards you want.  good luck

handcannon

Look at eBay in the lumber section. Sometimes you can find some great deals. Just double check that the wood is dried and ready to use. If your making pots, try to find something that has dimensions that will allow you the maximum cuts for blanks and not have a lot of wasted wood.

Michigander

Quote from: handcannon on April 07, 2012, 08:29:12 AM
Look at eBay in the lumber section.

You can also search bowl blanks, lots of cool woods available. Most of these will be green and sealed though, so you will have to dry them first. Lewiscustomcalls on ebay usually has some cool stuff, and they have been great to deal with in the past. You can also deal with them outside of ebay, I know it's a no no, but its cheaper that way.

tackett77

I have been going to a couple of local lumber yards that carry various hardwoods and buying the cut off pieces.  You can usually get them pretty cheap since they are scrap, but you can get various sizes and species to play with.  I recently scored a really nice 1 1/2" thick tiger maple board along with some mohagany and cherry.

West Augusta

Also check the firewood pile.  You'll be surprised at all the turkeys in a firewood pile.  Or if you trime a few trees around the yard.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

lonnie sneed jr.

Hope this does not double post. I lost one post.
Anyway, everyone on here is right about places to get wood. I cut several trees per year and take them to the saw mill. We have a drying rack for the boards to air dry on. When they are right my dad will turn them into pot, or box calls. If you find a tree or log that you know will make nice lumber for calls a saw mill will not charge that much to saw it. Also dad goes to a local cabinet shop. Chestnut is the wood hard to come by any more. Just look anywhere and everywhere. One of the best strikers I have, is made out of wooden coat hanger.  :OGturkeyhead:

pappy

HERE IS MY SECRET.....YARD SALES AND ESTATE SALES.....ALWAYS HAVE SOME KIND OF OLDER FURNITURE PIECES THAT NO ONE WANTS YOU CAN PICK THEM UP FOR A SONG AND A DANCE
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206