turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great hunt with a good friend

Started by jrseale82, April 05, 2012, 03:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrseale82

A couple of weeks ago I won a hunt from an auction at a local school and yesterday was the day I was selected to hunt.  My good friend had been in town since opening day and we had hunted hard since then getting close to several birds but couldn't get one in range.  We have been turkey hunting together for ten years and have never killed a bird together.  Its like we have a spell on us and nothing ever goes out way.  The hunt was only a one person hunt but I called the plantation manager and begged him to let me bring my friends since it was the last day we would both be able to go together until probably next year.  We had both taken the same days off to hunt and at the time we put in for our vacation I had not yet won the hunt and this day was the only day they had room for me to go.  I am very grateful he allowed me to bring him along for the hunt.  The day before the hunt the property manager showed me where he had spotted a gobbler earlier in the day as well as some other places I could try. 

The following morning we arrived early and decided to try and go to the area where the bird was seen the day before.  We walk to the edge of a field with a hardwood branch running behind it hoping he would be roosted in the branch.  Around 635 we heard on gobble but it wasn't where he said he would be but still close enough to set up on.  We wait a few more minutes to make sure there were not any closer to us and then we moved towards the gobbling bird which was in the next field over from us.  He starts gobbling his head off and we pick a spot to sit and set up a Zink breeder hen decoy on a 360 lifeline and a Zink 1/4 strut jake about ten yards in front of us.  We go back to our set up and are sitting about ten feet apart.  We get settled in and I make a soft yelp on my SP call Shane sent me a couple of weeks ago and I get cut off.  By this time is 650 and we can hear several more gobbles off in the distance.  Out turkey gobbles a few more times and I give him a few more soft yelps.  Its now about 655 I call again and no answer. I then start trying to untwist the line on the 360 lifeline  when all of the sudden a turkey flies down about 60 yards in front of us and is staring right at me.  It looks to be a big bird but I dont see a beard.  It had to be one of the biggest hens I have ever seen.  Right away I though here goes out luck again.  This hen is going to take the gobbler away from us.  Then it gets even worse.  She won't take her eyes off of me and begins to putt.  I am waiting for her to run off.  The only thing I could think of was to try to work the 360 lifeline even though it was twisted.  I pull the rope and the decoy begins to move.  The hen stops putting but still doesn't take her eyes off of me.  All of this going on and haven't heard a gobble in over 5 minutes and I begin to worry something has spooked him.  The next thing I know here comes another turkey at around 70 yards.  I am hoping its him and the he goes into full strut looking in our direction.  I still have the lifeline in my hand trying to work it and my gun is laying in my lap.  There is no way for me to get it and I cant turn my head to see if my buddy has his up or not.  He comes out of strut and walks towards the hen.  She goes the other way trying to take him with her.  Again my heart fell.  I was like this cant be happening again.  She is going to take him right around the corner and all of this will be just another close call.  I keep working the decoy and he hasn't taken his eyes off of it since he came out.  The hen moves out past him and he doesn't follow.  My hopes are now starting to get up, my heart starts pounding and I am starting to think if finally might happen.  The only problem I dont have a gun in my hand and dont know if my buddy does either.  The gobbler continues to strut our way and will not turn around for me to put my gun up.  He gets about 40 yards and must have finally realized what the jake decoy was.  He comes out of strut and charges towards us.  I still cant move and he is getting way too close and is going to bust us any second.  I wait until the point where I know if I spoke him I will still have a good chance to kill him if he runs when i put my gun up.  As soon as I go to grab it I hear BOOM and the turkey drops not making another move at 705.  We both jump up with joy and are finally glad we broke the spell.  He told me he didn't know what was taking me so long to shoot and then he glanced out of the corner of his eye and saw I didn't have my gun up.  He told me he didn't want to shoot because he knew I paid alot of money for the hunt but he didn't want another turkey to get away.  I told him if that was the case I would not have begged for him to come with me and I would not have wanted it any other way.  He turned out to weight 18lbs 12 oz with 1'' spurs.  His beard was 9'' but it was very thin for some reason.  Over all we had a fun three days of hunting and it could not have ended any more perfect. 

mnturkey

Congratulations, sounds like you both had a great time.
SEMPER FI

handcannon

Nothing like breaking a jinx. Congratulations on a great sounding hunt.

Ky strutt n bust n

JVA54

cannonball

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

jrseale82

Thanks for all of the replies and everyone taking the time to read it.  One think I left out was I had the video camera set up but once the hen flew down I never had the chance to turn it on.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

870supermagnum

That's a hunt you and your buddy won't forget.  Congrats  :you_rock:

Turkeyfan