Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking about a New Decoy - Which One??

Started by Grunt-N-Gobble, April 05, 2012, 12:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt-N-Gobble

Thinking about getting a new jake decoy since they seem to bring in gobblers a little better than full-strut decoys.  I already have a B-Mobile that I use with a jake fan.

Don't want to spend a bunch of money.......ie DSD decoy,..........so what jake decoy have you guys had the most success with without spending over $100.

sugarray

I'd look at the HS Strut line.  I'd get the hard body one.  Dick's has them locally here and they look good.  around $30 I think.

blackmagic

My buddy uses this and it looks awesome.  2 birds have met lead over it and for the sale price, can't be beat.
http://www.wingsupply.com/decoys-accessories/turkey-decoys/carrylite-pretty-boy-junior-semi-strutter-turkey-decoy/

I use this one.  Eyes fall out, but a little less intrusive than the other one and more easily packed.
http://www.wingsupply.com/decoys-accessories/turkey-decoys/delta-h-s-strut-sneaky-pete-jake-turkey-decoy/

eaglea1

I just picked up a Primos Jake Mobile on BassPro for 25.00  :funnyturkey:

blackmagic

Quote from: eaglea1 on April 05, 2012, 01:03:51 PM
I just picked up a Primos Jake Mobile on BassPro for 25.00  :funnyturkey:

Lucky dog.  They're out of stock now.

FullChoke

I also use the Pretty Boy Junior half strut Jake decoy. The first thing I did was to paint it to look more like a real jake and less like a Louis X!V powdered clown-hooker. Good price though.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Grunt-N-Gobble

OK.....I've looked at PrettyBoy Jr. Half Strut and the HS Strut Woody Hardbody decoys.  Looks like my local Gander Mountain has them and I've got a couple gift cards there to use that will help.

Outta these two..........Which do you fellas think is better??

The other decoy I'd consider (since Gander has it too) is the Quarter Strut Jake from Zink Calls.  Little more than I want to spend, but I may if its that good.

Ky strutt n bust n

we have the zink jake decoy and 2 feeder zink hens. we didn't have time to set them up today on our bird so i can't tell ya if they do the trick or not. but our first set up of the morning and 20 yards the jakelooks so freaking real. the zink decoy is outstanding looking decoy in low light conditions and when the sun hits it. other folks probably disagree to a 100$ and as i would too... whereas i've killed several birds over those triangle of love set of foam carrylite dekes for many of years. lol. youve got a thumbs up from me on the zink decoy  :icon_thumright:

bowhunter32

just bought pretty boy jr..looks less aggressive...i got b mobile n jake mobile..killed off both...no tail fan on pretty boy..less hassle..lot of guys on here use him...

Grunt-N-Gobble

Well, I went to Gander tonight and bought the Pretty Boy JR. half strut.  They didn't have the HS Strut Woody or the Zink at my local store.

I'll paint up the head a little to get rid of some of the white, maybe hit it with a little copper metalic paint and look into taxidermist eyes.