OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mixing up camo colors

Started by darron, April 04, 2012, 08:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

Does anyone use bottomland shirts/jackets to try to match the tree they are sitting against and then use something like obession or ap for their pants to match the leaves on ground?

I am thinking about buying a set of treklite clothing for this spring and thought about buying all bottomland, but then I got to thinking........wouldn't it make more sense to have bottomland on top and something with leaves in it for the pants?

surehuntsalot

I always mix match my clothes
brown color,leafs and branches on my pants
green colors on my shirts
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dcar_roll

I never mix and match. I just wear ASAT all the time!
Hunting- Not just a job,but an adventure !

captin_hook

I mix it up. I like ap, obsession, and regular old mossy oak for pants.

jakebird

I often wear realtree hardwoods pants with alot of brown and grey in them, typical fall pattern that blends well with the forest floor. I mix that with my ap green leafy suit jacket for a real nice "shrub at the base of a tree" effect.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

pullit

I wear whatever I have that is what I need for the temp. etc.

Hognutz

Don't lose any sleep over not looking like the tree you are sitting next to. Camo is highly over-rated. It's all good. Wear what you got, buy what you want, mix and match. It's all good..These camo companies got the people believing that if they don't look like the tree they are beside, they will get busted. It's all crazy. I would like to know how many turkeys have been killed by guys wearing blue farmer bibs with a white snot rag hanging out of them. Marketing is the camo company's bread and butter, and they do it well..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

FL-Boss

well said. Especially true if you are sitting in a blind. Does it really matter?   I have killed most my birds just wearing jeans and regular camo shirt. No mask, gloves or anything..

Ky strutt n bust n

ive killed several birds with no gloves on and the occasional with no face mask on. i dont know, i just like to feel blended in. just makes me feel more like im hunting. i wear the pretty realtree APG. for past couple years on cold brisk morning ill wear my drake max4 jacket. lol and have killed 4 birds while wearing it in the middle of the green undergrowth woods. it doesnt really matter what kind you wear, i just wanna feel like im accomplishing something

Ol'Mossy

I used to wear the old military camo and killed birds with them just as well then I got caught up in the camo hype  ;D

stinkpickle

I wouldn't worry about it.  I keep my knees up, so I would have to find camo pants that had dead leaves on the leg bottoms and around the waist...and tree bark starting around the calf and the mid-thigh are working up to the knee.  Plus, I'd have to find a shirt with leaves around the shirt tail and tree bark from the mid belly up.  No thanks!   :laugh:

darron

I know what you guys are saying.....I was just curious as that would make sense....however being still is more important

lightsoutcalls

I wear whatever is clean.  ;D  I have a lot of the shadow branch pants, so I generally wear those with Realtree Green or Obsession shirt. 
As was stated, being still is more important than the "right" camo pattern.  I love backing into the underbrush on a field edge and adding a few snipped branches around in front of me...  The right surroundings will also help as much or more than the right camo pattern.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Lenny870

I wouldn't worry bout it either, its not like your goin to a beauty patent or any thing. Wear what you want however you want just be still and put em on the ground :anim_25:

Turkey Trot

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on April 05, 2012, 02:05:54 PM
I wear whatever is clean.  ;D  I have a lot of the shadow branch pants, so I generally wear those with Realtree Green or Obsession shirt. 
As was stated, being still is more important than the "right" camo pattern.  I love backing into the underbrush on a field edge and adding a few snipped branches around in front of me...  The right surroundings will also help as much or more than the right camo pattern.

I was going to make the same remark about what is clean. 

It was not that long ago that virtually everyone that wore camo wore army camo patterns.  Realtree. Mossy Oak, etc. have done a great job in convincing people that animals see like we do, and "look at this picture, doesn't it look and match up better"?  Turkeys don't have binocular vision, they have to move their heads a lot, and their best asset is peripheral vision.  Movement in the most expensive matching camo from head to tail will blow it up.   
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter