OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

" The Bull " 4-4-12

Started by ccleroy, April 04, 2012, 04:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccleroy

This hunt started a little later than I had planed, hunting every morning so far has took a toll on me and of all mornings it was this one where I slept  late. I was supposed to have a guy come from LA to hunt with me, he was up visiting family and last night we talked and he agreed to meet me at my place at 5am, I am awakened at 2 am by a thunderstorm that's bad and I ease back off to sleep, then I jump up and its 5:45....damnit!!!! I look at my phone and have a missed txt from him saying I guess you're sleeping in due to rain so i am heading to plan b, I tell him to meet me and we'll strike out and kill one, he tells me all is well and he's at his other spot he has permission to hunt all setup......I absolutely feel like , but I decide to rush to another place I haven't hunted yet on the river and give it a try....by the time I get there birds are on the ground, spot one out the truck was a strike, spot 2 same thing....spot 3 Step out the truck and bam! Down in the bottom, there's my next victim.....I slip to 150 yards of the bird and he's killing it. Get setup and he's playing the back and forth game, I shut down. For 10 minutes he's silent, then 300 yards away he starts back up. Well I think, I'm just gonna have to wait till your hens leave. I sit tight and pull out the copper give it a hit, he slams it and starts working his way back, but drifts again after 30 minutes, this whole hunt was just like this for 2 hours. Finally I start walking and calling like a feeding hen till I get within 100 yards of him and sit down, it doesn't take long before he starts to set the woods on fire trying to draw the hen to him and then I see him, at 80 he's looking hard and half strutting, I give a set of soft over the shoulder yelps and he struts all the way to 35. I love a river turkey something fierce, to kill one in the bottoms and enjoy the beauty is something I hope everyone can experience one day.

22.11 lbs.
1  1/4 and 1 1/8 spurs
11.25 beard

FullChoke

I love those long, thin daggers he's sporting and those hot pink legs!  Great hunt, well played and a happy ending to a story that started out badly.

Cheers!  :z-winnersmiley:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like a fantastic hunt!! Congrats man!! :icon_thumright:

FANMAN

Beautiful bird , Congratulations.

JVA54

boomer

Congrats!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

renegade19

captin_hook

That's a big boy! Way to go.

handcannon

You just aint messing around, are ya. You got em flopping all over the place. Congratulations on yet another fine bird and an outstanding season.

TRKYHTR

Great hooks and he's got a loooong beard. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Reloader

Big Timber

TauntoHawk

it took him so long because he probobly kept tripping on that giant rope hanging off his chest  :newmascot:

sick bird man!!!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hookhunter

Talk about better late than never!! Awesome bird congrats
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

VA_Birdhunter

Nice Bird!!  Congrats!!  :icon_thumright:
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens