OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

To Blind . . or not to Blind. . .That is the Question (Updated)

Started by lohaus, April 04, 2012, 11:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrjames

we all wear a lot of camo....facemasks and gloves....the blind is just another level of camo.
The one big advantage to me is that with a blind you can sit in a chair and not on a tree root, and if you can't use mouth calls it frees up your hands. With that being said I have never killed a turkey from a blind. There have been times I wish I'd had one though.

WildTigerTrout

I don't use a blind or decoys. My son is 13 and he has never seen the inside of a blind. IMO they take away from the experience. Being busted once in a while is REAL turkey hunting!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ctwny1

I myself would start out in the blind with a young one and then decide
later on what your going to do. If your not going in the blind just make sure your right next to your boy guiding him with your knowledge. Good Luck and hope your son kills another one.

paladin

I use a blind when I think it will help me. I do not let it hold me back.
"have gun-will travel"

camotruck

All good advice and points.  I'd explain it to him and see what he wants to do.
"If you could make money the way you hunt, you'd be a rich man, and I wouldn't worry about you."   .....My Dad shortly before he passed.  Bye Dad  Love ya

lohaus

To Blind or not to Blind . . . .the Update.

Well, Friday rolls around and we put the birds to bed.  We watched 7 birds roost behind a row of houses in the field.  The other 30 plus birds to where we thought they would go.  So the decision was to go after the 7 where we knew exact location or the big group with 30 plus and quite a few toms mixed in.

So my son, my buddy, and I head after the big group.  We decided no blind and my buddy decides to record the hunt.  I took the advice and brought the stake out material that we bought a few years ago and hardly used.  In the opening between the two woods that I call the 'money spot' we found three trees in a row.  My son takes the lead spot about 5 yards ahead of me, I go middle tree, and my buddy goes back about 3 yards from me.  Well, lo and behold birds are right where we thought.  We heard them gobble, watched them fly down, and start strutting.  Birds are to the front of us, to the right of use, and some ahead and to the left.

A group of jakes comes into the calling.  A nice tom from the behind us comes walking in as we were all faced toward the bulk of the birds.  Very appreciative of my buddy as he was all about my son's hunt as he passes on the Tom that he could have quite easily dropped.  It was 10 yards to the right and walking into gun view.  Obviously, I pass and we let it reach my son.

Well, this is where the education begins.  His first time sitting on a tree 'alone' and gave him the advice of this is your hunt and you make the decisions when we set him up.  He moves his gun to the right.  The tom spots movement, not totally spooked, turns and starts walking off at a diagonal.  If he was more experienced then he would have dropped it when it walked off or just let the tom keep walking the field edge and thus into his line of fire instead of moving the gun.  But hey, this is his hunt and experience.  The jakes are still hanging around.  A little later, he moves his gun, they kind of spoke, we call to calm them down.  They knew something was up and start to walk away.  My son lays the boom on one of the jakes and drops him.  They get all worried and we call them back in again.

Well, the original tom that my son 'passed' walks diagnol about 150 to 200 yards and I hear a 'pop' and see a bird flopping.  Turns out another father Than and his son Parker were hunting the same group of birds.  As birds were still in the field we just hung out until the kid came out of his blind with his Dad.  We go over and do a meet and greet.  Turns out the property owner gave him permission too and let him know we might be there.  Both groups oblivious to the others presence.

Well, this is Parkers first bird.  A nice tom with 11" beard, 3/4 inchish spurs and guessing 21 pounds.  My son gets the Jake.  Both boys are pumped.  I insisted they get a picture together.  We talked for a while.

I was extremely proud of my son.  When I asked why he just sat there after dropping his Jake he replied "I remember you telling a story of how you could have had 3 gobblers after dropping one and the other two went to attack it so I figured I better stay still."  Well, it turns out this decision allowed Parker to get his bird with the 410.

Overall, an excellent morning with a memorable start to the season for both parties.  Oh yeah, just goes to show you safety first as you never know who else is in the woods/fields with you.

Hookhunter

Awesome hunt I'm glad it all worked out for the best. And it sounds like your boy got a little education on the Wiley wild turkey. Congrats to all involved

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

spaightlabs

Congrats - well done and good lesson in patience for the youngin'.  I'm jealous - he's got 60 more years of turkey hunting - I've got 30...

wmd

Congrats to both kids on their birds.  I can almost bet that the kid that killed his out of a blind felt no less elation or sense of accomplishment than your son did by killing his sitting against a tree. 

redleg06

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 06, 2012, 11:42:56 AM
I don't use a blind or decoys. My son is 13 and he has never seen the inside of a blind. IMO they take away from the experience. Being busted once in a while is REAL turkey hunting!

Agree.

If it was his very first turkey hunt and was going to be bad weather or something then maybe I would so he didnt have a bad experience BUT, he might actually like it more if he were outside of a blind.....I know most turkey hunters do. 

Also, I think that there are some things you just have to learn from experience that you will miss out on by sitting in a blind. A good example is learning when you can and cant move once one starts getting close. I watched a guy yesterday that missed out on a bird because he didnt move when he should have and the bird came in to 20 yards but he had no idea how to finish the deal. Fortunately for me, I was there and had moved when the bird went behind a tree at about 50yards and was ready once I realized he couldnt turn to shoot.... :-*

I know different folks that are new to turkey hunting who've had birds in range but either moved at the wrong time and ran the birds off, or they didnt move when they could have and couldnt get a shot as a result, or they just set up poorly and missed out on finishing the deal because of it. 

If you are helping them out, like you are your son, you'd have a hard time running them thru what to do in every possible scenario of something like this but experience will teach them....