OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

To Blind . . or not to Blind. . .That is the Question (Updated)

Started by lohaus, April 04, 2012, 11:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lohaus

To Blind . . .or not to Blind. . . That is the question.

My season starts out this Saturday.  I'm pumped about getting my 12 year old son out there again.  Last year he nailed a 22 lb Tom on the first morning.  We set up on field in a blind.  Most of the birds flew down into the woods, except one that flew down about 200 yards to our left.  Spotted our decoys, called him over, and he nailed him.  Back to the car at 6:30 am.  

I told my son not every hunt is going to end at 6:30 am with a kill and back to the car.  Don't get  me wrong, it was an awesome experience to see your son get his first bird.

Well, I told him this year we are probably going without the blind.  I have a pretty good idea where these birds roost and where we want to set up on the first morning.  I'm probably going decoys again.

I guess I'm just looking for people's opinion or thoughts.  My thoughts are you lose that extra something by being camped in a blind.  Personally, I get my juices flowing more by sitting on a tree and having that extra chance of being busted.  More of a sense of accomplishment when the deal is done.  I want my son to have that experience this year.

Or. . .maybe I'll just use the blind again at flydown.   Ha, to be determined.

So what did/do other people do with their youth hunters?

Jay

Really depends on the youth. Some are incapable of sitting still 5 minutes at a time, and some fall asleep as soon as we get out there. With my grandsons I have both extremes.

fountain2

If he is calm and can be still good/patient and the weather is nice I would go without.   For me, the main thing would ne weather.  If it looks bad go for the blind, if not run and gun! 

Either way ...just go hunt and let him enjoy!!!...blind or no blind.  Btw..im not scared to sit in a blind myself...every tool has its use

dirt road ninja

I'd start out in the blind then try to move if need. At 12 he can probably go without it for longer then you would think. I had an 11 year old with me two weeks ago and we were not in blinds, but I did tell him to sit still more than once. He was still enough, but the birds had other plans that morning.

runngun

Blind first thing, then out and about if needed!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Killing a turkey out of a blind is not comparable to the intensity and adrenaline rush one experiences when in plain view.

So what if he moves and busts a bird?  You have to gain an appreciation for their eyesight at some point.  The earlier he learns that the more accelerated his hunting success will be.

Also, I wouldn't want my kid to always associate blinds with turkey hunting.  They have their place and application but anytime you decrease the degree of difficulty when doing something, you diminish the level of accomplishment.

Gooluck!

NYbassman

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 04, 2012, 01:42:37 PM
Killing a turkey out of a blind is not comparable to the intensity and adrenaline rush one experiences when in plain view.

So what if he moves and busts a bird?  You have to gain an appreciation for their eyesight at some point.  The earlier he learns that the more accelerated his hunting success will be.

Also, I wouldn't want my kid to always associate blinds with turkey hunting.  They have their place and application but anytime you decrease the degree of difficulty when doing something, you diminish the level of accomplishment.

Gooluck!

Excellent post, I agree wholeheartedly. I never used a blind when I was a young hunter, my first bird was killed 10 paces from the base of the tree I was sitting against. I wouldnt have it any other way.

Spring_Woods

Gooluck!

I agree. Word for word.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

lightsoutcalls

I would suggest one of the stake out blinds that is made of die cut material and has short stakes (about 2 foot tall).  These help cover some movement, but require the user to be more still than in a pop-up style blind.  I carry one to use when I don't have good natural cover.  They have made the difference a couple of times for me and are easily carried in either the pouch on the back of a vest or in a decoy bag.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ghillie

Gooluck!

What he said...

bbcoach

I'll answer a question with a question.  What is your GUT telling you?  Do you believe he can set still enough to get a bird in your lap and then be able to move his gun without getting busted?  As you know, the blind and decoys will help cover up alot of mistakes.  A friend of mine and I will be heading out with two youth this Saturday as well, so my best to you and your son no matter which choice you make.

RutnNStrutn

I'm with the guys. If your son is capable of doing what it takes to harvest a bird without a blind, go for it!! If not, best to go with the blind and not take a chance on blowing the hunt.

Hookhunter

If you think he can be still enough to give it a try without the blind that would be my choice. As stated earlier when decreasing the difficulty you decrease the sense of accomplishment especially with a wild turkey. I also agree that the sooner he learns how well those boogers can see the sooner he will start to develope as a turkey hunter. We all remember when we learned that valuable little lesson.. Lol! With that said there is nothing wrong with using a blind when the situation warrants it. After all a blind is just another tool, just like the ones that fill our turkey vests. The most important part is that he enjoys himself. Good luck let us know which way you decide to go.

Justin
Yelp,yelp,yelp.. Gobble, BOOM!!!! Flop,flop,flop

Lenny870

Dan Mallia

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 04, 2012, 06:20:07 PM
I'm with the guys. If your son is capable of doing what it takes to harvest a bird without a blind, go for it!! If not, best to go with the blind and not take a chance on blowing the hunt.

:z-winnersmiley: